Snapped bolt being VERY STUBBORN !

Nov 5, 2011
Rochester, NY
Aright guys so here's yet another " need help getting snapped bolt out " thread ! I have had snapped/broken bolts before even with no threads exposed to grab onto and have always managed to get them out ... But trying to get this one out has been hell. I've tried drilling grooves into it in an attempt to make a flat head impression in the bolt to try and screw it out with no luck, I've whacked away at it for a half hour trying to drive both flat head and Phillips head screw drivers into the face of the bolt again with no luck. I've sprayed wd-40 on it from the face and behind the bolt, I've tried heating the frame that its in trying to loosen any rust and hoping the frame would swell just enough to loosen its grip on the bolt and I just can't seem to get it out ... I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate any help or suggestions very much ! PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT ... Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with, sorry for the poor quality of the pic.

28sa2yg.jpg

Normally my last resort is to drill it out. after that sometimes you can unscrew whats left but its tricky. You may have to tap it

I think your only option is to drill it out. Use the appropriate drill bit and easy-out. Use a torch and heat it up GOOD. Take some PB Blaster or a good penetrating oil, (not WD-40) use a good easy-out and work it out.

The bolt is still in the frame, and unfortunately I do not have welder readily available ... Not sure on if or how this might help but I did get the bolt on the opposite side of the frame/tubing out and I can see the end of the bolt. Here's a pic so you guys know what I'm talkin about.

macakl.jpg

I got the bolt on the left side out and the frame is hollow from one side to the other. I'm hoping that this can some how help and give me more options, I can't come up with any ideas tho !

I've never had such a hard time with a bolt, even when they break off like that. I'm thinking that bolt has been in there since the quad was assembled at the factory in 1990, that mixed with me torqing on it in 20 degree temps ... I think I'm gonna have to drill it out and just get a long enough lag bolt to run from one side to the other and fasten it like that rather than having to re tap it !