small problems

atc350x

Jan 13, 2011
i just picked up a blaster, not sure of the year. the guy i got it from said he had put an 80 over kit from vitos, carbon fiber reeds, and it has a 260 main jet.the throttle cap on the carb was lose because the carb threads were striped. changed carb with same stock style along with the 260 jet. there is a small pop/backfire when riding, and a hard starting issue. also it does not want to idle after you ride it about 600 feet but it run well and fast. but if you hold the throttle it will run, but it sound like it not get enough of fuel when your not riding , just trying to idle. any ideas

adjust the idle air screw in all the way on the carb then back it out one and a half turns. is the air box lid on or off? sound's like you might need to go up a couple sizes on your main jet

yea the air box lid is off. but it still has the tors on it. is there a way to bypass that or do you have to buy the kit. what would you recommend for the jet size

those jets are way too big for a stock pipe, even in winter, my brand new '96 came with a 230, and a 240 for winter, maybe go one size bigger for the no air lid, no way any bigger than a 260 max with a stock pipe.
but none of that has anything to do with idle
check to see the needle is in the middle slot, the airscrew is at 1.5 turns out, did you completely disassemble and clean the carb, is it getting enuf fuel, are the floats adjusted to the 20 - 21.5mm specs ??? and popping can also be a sign of an airleak, better get a leakdown tester asap, you've only got one more bore left on that cylinder

click the link below my sig pic, it will lead you to the diagnostic/maintenance page you first posted in
be sure to check everything listed there....fuel flow, air filter clean, new plug, reeds good, grounds clean and tight, plug wire/boot good ect, ect.

start pecking away at all of this, one by one, preferably the leakdown test first

Last edited:
it has a dg full exhaust on it. and i have a freind that has a stock 97 that has a full fmf and filter kit and he is running a 280 jet in the carb main on the sock mukuni. i will check all these things out today. thanks p.s. can't complain about hte atv , i got for 300 bucks

back fire through the exhaust? = too lean. run better quality fuel. 110LL oh and leakdown is a good idea too:p

backfire usually means it is rich in the upper rpms and lean in the lower.
hard starting is a sign of a lean pilot.
so sounds like you should just put a size bigger pilot in there and see if it works.

i took the carb off and pulled the reeds out and halr of the reed gasket was missing. changed that and put in a new plug,ngk b8es i think, put a 280 main jet in and clean the air filter. put it all back together and it runs like a champ now. thanks for the advice. this is the first 2 stroke i have owned.

i took the carb off and pulled the reeds out and halr of the reed gasket was missing. changed that and put in a new plug,ngk b8es i think, put a 280 main jet in and clean the air filter. put it all back together and it runs like a champ now. thanks for the advice. this is the first 2 stroke i have owned.

cool stuff man glad you got it figured out. personally i like the sounds of the 280, you are definately a bit rich but as long as its a "happy rich" where you are not fouling plugs i would leave it and ride it.

Glad you figured it out. That badly-damaged reed gasket was causing a major air leak, hence why it wouldn't idle. If you still have a little bog at idle, or if the airscrew has to be turned almost all the way in for the engine to idle properly, jump up to a 35 pilot jet. Should run lots better and won't hurt anything.