Simple question about choke open and closed

OK simply put...When you pull the black knob on your carb(choke) are you opening it or closing it? When the knob is pressed fully against the carb is that open or closed? Im getting confused. I usually run it with the black knob closed all the way.

Pulling the black knob out richens up the mixture for easy starting.

The knob pressed against the carb body is correct for normal running.

Ok I thought so, I was getting confused with my coworker for a minute lol Thanks! Also I noticed when I leave my quad in the garage and it gets pretty warm (80-100 F.) in there is gas spilled on the floor that appears to be coming from one of the hoses on the carb? I want to say maybe 2-4Tbs of gas leakig out. Is this becuase of the temp affecting the gas pressurizing it?

Ok I thought so, I was getting confused with my coworker for a minute lol Thanks! Also I noticed when I leave my quad in the garage and it gets pretty warm (80-100 F.) in there is gas spilled on the floor that appears to be coming from one of the hoses on the carb? I want to say maybe 2-4Tbs of gas leakig out. Is this becuase of the temp affecting the gas pressurizing it?

Hardly think so, it is possible that you have a varnish build up on the needle and seat that is allowing the fuel to seep by the needle.

Or a hair or a small bit of crap which is fouling the needle from seating.

The wrong float setting can also be the cause of a dribbling carby.

It may be a blocked vent or tube on the filler cap which is forcing fuel past the needle at higher temps.

Yes, thats obvious.

But sometimes a random leak emerges. Or if the float fills etc...

But if you turn off the petcock, the random leak or a sunken float may not be obvious until you ride the bike.

And that may leave you stranded in the woods to be eaten by a bear, or in my case, kicked by a Kangaroo, or pounced on by a Drop bear.

If my carby leaks (it seldom does) I prefer to know prior to riding so that I can fix it.