Should I trade?

bb66chevelle

Mar 15, 2010
Philly PA
Hey guys! ..... Me again! :D

Okay, here we go again....
I'm looking to trade the 2000 Yamaha TTR 125 4 stroke dirt bike that I picked up yesterday. Its a really clean bike that runs and drives beautiful. The only reason I'd even consider this trade is because I want something bigger & faster.
So I'm looking at an old KX250 for a possible even up trade. All I know about the KX is what the guy told me in an email which is....

"Its a nice old school 89 kx 250 with alot of new parts perfect for vintage racing or just riding. very fast. has new motor plus comes with a complete spare rebuilt motor, extra plastics, wheels, etc. also has pro circuit exhaust ready to go great year for kx motor".

Now this KX is 11 years older then my TTR 125. And I never had a KX before. Are these good bikes? Would it be a good deal to do an even up trade for these 2 bikes?

Heres my TTR 125............
SideBike.jpg

Heres the KX 250.............
0322102155-00.jpg

the kx looks pretty clean for its year and sounds like it comes with a lot of extra stuff. if what you want is a bigger, faster bike, then id say do it man. gotta go see the bike in person and make sure it runs good and everything first though

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really considering it. It's just the age of it that worries me.
What would that 89 KX250 sell for with all the extras?

mine had.. heck idk... i know it was a ex race bike so what ever they could do but still be legal was done.. i know it scared me, 4th gear on the throttle. BAM front tire in the air!

lol yea thoes 250s are scary ass hell i love the old school 250s i think they are faster then the new ones

If you are wanting a bigger bike and that model as well then I say go for it. It looks extremely clean and well taken care of, so I imagine that it would be good. However, I would see why he is willing to make that trade. The bike, no offense, seems to be a lot better than the one that you have. Maybe there is something wrong with the KX. Either way, you could probably get a lot more use out of the KX if you kept it and didn't trade up for something else or sell it. But if you did, you'd get more. Go for it is my vote.

Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for your input! I really take it all into consideration!I:I
And that video is sweet! :eek: I:I
I'm still on the fence and not sure what to do. I love that KX and it does look super clean even though it looks soaked in Armor-All! The only thing that keeps me hanging is it being 21 years old.

Here is the deal. If this is for you to turn a buck on... Keep the 125 and sell it to someone for top dollar looking for a play bike for the wife or kid. If this is for you, get the KX. The age of the KX is irrelevant:
1: The engine is 1000x better on the KX.
2: The suspension is AT LEAST 3x better on the old school KX.
3: If it breaks, parts are about the same between the two.

I bought a CRF 230 (2x better than that TTR125) I thought was gonna last me until retirement, I mean, I'm getting old, I'm a smaller guy (175lbs) I was only gonna ride trails...the knees can only take so much. After 8 months and all the BBR upgrades I could do it just wasn't cutting it! Tired of bouncing my chin off the damn crossbar and hearing the suspension bottom out, I had to cut my losses and go for the CRF250... You can tune down the KX with pipes and jetting etc. to make it docile, but there isn't much you can do to hop up the TTR125 unless all you want is a hot pit bike, that's not hot IMO. They are fun for a play toy, but if you're aggressive and really want to ride, get the KX... they are beasty, but fun.

Here is the deal. If this is for you to turn a buck on... Keep the 125 and sell it to someone for top dollar looking for a play bike for the wife or kid. If this is for you, get the KX. The age of the KX is irrelevant:
1: The engine is 1000x better on the KX.
2: The suspension is AT LEAST 3x better on the old school KX.
3: If it breaks, parts are about the same between the two.

I bought a CRF 230 (2x better than that TTR125) I thought was gonna last me until retirement, I mean, I'm getting old, I'm a smaller guy (175lbs) I was only gonna ride trails...the knees can only take so much. After 8 months and all the BBR upgrades I could do it just wasn't cutting it! Tired of bouncing my chin off the damn crossbar and hearing the suspension bottom out, I had to cut my losses and go for the CRF250... You can tune down the KX with pipes and jetting etc. to make it docile, but there isn't much you can do to hop up the TTR125 unless all you want is a hot pit bike, that's not hot IMO. They are fun for a play toy, but if you're aggressive and really want to ride, get the KX... they are beasty, but fun.

Hey bud!
Thanks for the in-put.
I think you, and everyone else, are on the money. I got the Blaster damn near for nothing and wanted a dirt bike to go along with it. I have been wheeling and dealing for the last week or so to get something nice and fast and to keep for years of enjoyment. I'm looking to just settle down now.
After reading, I've decided to do the trade. So I just spoke to the fella with the KX and we're going to meet Thursday night to check out each others rides and do the deal if all seems cool.
I'll be sure keep you all posted!
thanks again so much!

Hey bud!
Thanks for the in-put.
I think you, and everyone else, are on the money. I got the Blaster damn near for nothing and wanted a dirt bike to go along with it. I have been wheeling and dealing for the last week or so to get something nice and fast and to keep for years of enjoyment. I'm looking to just settle down now.
After reading, I've decided to do the trade. So I just spoke to the fella with the KX and we're going to meet Thursday night to check out each others rides and do the deal if all seems cool.
I'll be sure keep you all posted!
thanks again so much!

good deal..l. i think if it rides as nice as it look you wont wanna get rid of it... the first time you get on the pipe one of 2 things will happen that will make you simultaniously sh*t, piss, puke, and ejaculate...... #1 will get on the pipe, powevalve dropps, BAM throwin a 10 foot high roost hosing anything behind you.. or #2 pipe+ powervalve your ether lookin at the sky and back off the throttle or you newnd up on your arse.. going holy sh*t!! that rocked!

good deal..l. i think if it rides as nice as it look you wont wanna get rid of it... the first time you get on the pipe one of 2 things will happen that will make you simultaniously sh*t, piss, puke, and ejaculate...... #1 will get on the pipe, powevalve dropps, BAM throwin a 10 foot high roost hosing anything behind you.. or #2 pipe+ powervalve your ether lookin at the sky and back off the throttle or you newnd up on your arse.. going holy sh*t!! that rocked!

HAHAHA lmfao nicely said! those 250s will definately scare you!! your gonna have a blast chevelle!

HAHAHA lmfao nicely said! those 250s will definately scare you!! your gonna have a blast chevelle!

im not joking, first time i got on the pipe on my 93 cr250 i pee'd, shat, farted nutted, puked, nose started running eyes watered,ears popped, got nose bleed and i started drooling!!

keep in mine.. that was my very first bike... im 260 and 5'11'' and the bike showed me who was the boss

Oh hell ya.I wish my Blaster ran like my 90 CR250R did!I loved the power but hated only having two wheels.I grow up on dirt bikes but when I rode an atv ,I was hooked.Now I would not get a dirt bike again.