Should I rejet?

after killing the engine, no need to hold the throttle open

and you can do 1/2 throttle plug chops to confirm that needle

after killing the engine, no need to hold the throttle open

and you can do 1/2 throttle plug chops to confirm that needle

I was wondering that. Where would the ring be on the ceramic for a 1/2 throttle plug chop? And should it still be that cardboard-ish color?

I was wondering that. Where would the ring be on the ceramic for a 1/2 throttle plug chop? And should it still be that cardboard-ish color?

Ok, so, here is the latest scoop. I trucked the blaster to my buddy's house tonight with full intentions of plug chopping...and mission accomplished, not a good result. X(

I take it for a quick spin, and it's still acting up, so I pull it in and raise the clip one more spot, put it back together and away I go...runs awesome all the way up to 3/4-WFO. So, another quick pull in and I change out to my #290 main and then take it for a quick spin to see how that works...cuts right out at WFO. So, not having a larger main, I decided to start with a half throttle plug chop. I adjust my throttle limiter screw to line up with my half throttle mark...it still had a ton of ass to it, or so I thought. Anyhow, so swap plugs and away I go, into 5th, WO, give it till the RPMs max, Kill and clutch. Pull over and pull the plug to ride home. I peek into the ceramic just because I'm curious like that, :eek:, as white as rice!!! I switch plugs and head back anyway. I get back, and even though I'm sure, I still chop it...yup, looks brand new, no ring, no brown, just bright white ceramic.

Why would my Needle be set so lean??? What am I missing here? It would want to cut out when the needle was set richer, now it is running but it is lean as hell...any guesses?

try setting the throttle stop at 3/4 ???

So, is the main ONLY working at WOT? After a little reading, absolutely not, it actually starts to kick in around 1/4 throttle, but it's output is monitored by the needle. So, right now, with my needle being set so lean, on the #1 (top) slot, does that theoretically mean that my main is super lean? If I go to a much larger main, could that possibly lower my needle to a richer position?

Just a thought, if the main is super lean, it may not be getting enough to feed the needle, thats where it gets its gas from.

Bump up the main so the needle can get something to work with.

Just a thought, if the main is super lean, it may not be getting enough to feed the needle, thats where it gets its gas from.

Bump up the main so the needle can get something to work with.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Seeing how I'm set so lean on the needle and already at a #290 and the plug was white as Casper, how high do you think I should go, #350??? #400???.

I still don't get it though, even if the main isn't supplying enough fuel, shouldn't that have meant that I would've had to richen the needle to get a better fuel count in the AFR? :-/

Just a few over will not change jetting requirements, Big bore will change the way it breathes!

Are the mods in your sig still current?

Just a few over will not change jetting requirements, Big bore will change the way it breathes!

Are the mods in your sig still current?

My last run was #290 Main, but all the rest is the same. I just picked up a #350 main tonight, just to see if there is a change in my WOT. Won't run it though until tomorrow or Sunday...mud races. I:I

Ok, so after watching the latest JLSPARKY mini-series, and my over abundant amount of spooge, it dawned on me I have an exhaust leak and that could be effecting me a bit. So, I RTVd the exhaust flange, the pipe to the exhaust flange and the silencer to the pipe and sealed up my leaks. Now, doing that, I've gone from a 35 pilot to a 32.5 pilot at 2-1/4 turns out. I switched back to my 270 main, to start over with the problem chasing, and I'm still having to lean out my needle. I'm currently on the #4 (or second slot from the top) spot and it wants to bog at about 1/2 throttle. If I punch it, it will bog immediately. So, I let it bog for about 5 seconds, pulled it in and pulled the plug and it was coated and fouled. I then took it back out and eased into the throttle and it would hit the power band and take off...I could only get up to 4th gear though. I pulled it in and the plug was cleaned off quite a bit.

So, opinions...is my main kicking in too soon? Is it possibly too big? Should I try another needle? This is starting to get really old for me. If I don't figure this carb out soon, I'm gonna be really pissed.

whats the smallest jet you have for it? like a 230+ try it and see what that gets you.

Yeah, just talked to my mechanic buddy with the Quadzilla, and has never had to rebuild it. He gave me a bit more comfort and confidence in dropping the main down a couple one or two sizes and richen my needle. It really seems like I am right there, but I was too nervous in leaning my main, with my needle needing to be so lean with the bigger main. Oy vay...I know what I mean.

Ok, a quick up date, even tho this will kinda duplicate another thread I have here, but I just want to keep the info flowing in this one.

Tonight I ran 250, 260 and 270 mains, each one starting at mid clip slot. Each time I got 1/2 throttle and then it started to spit and sputter. Then I would change to #4 slot (one from the top) and I could get to 3/4 throttle, but when I would go to WOT it would just cut out completely. A couple times I pulled the plug, only to find it saturated...even with the 250 main. However, then I went to top of the clip and at just over 3/4 throttle to WO, it would spit and sputter bad....but no back firing. I did the same thing, pinning and pulling the plug...same thing, saturated.

So, I decided to plug chop at 260 main with clip in the #4 slot. When I pulled the plug, a visual inspection resulted in no staining at all. Then I quickly changed out to my #270, did a double run, down and back on one plug, and I got staining that was this...
0524122035.jpg

The only problem with this chop, was it was only at 3/4 throttle, I have still yet to hit a strong full throttle, but I'm starting to think more and more I need to figure out a different needle.

Good luck with this man!!!! I'm glad to see awk is helping with this cause w/o him personally helping me through dozens of messages back & forth I don't think my quad would of been running for the past couple months... The only advice I can tell you is- don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how dumb you think they are, and do a lot of reading on here through the "search" button. There's tons of threads that you can read and learn a ton of info. That's what I did and now I have a way better understanding of how a lot of things work. But don't get discouraged even though jetting can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. Once you pick things up it gets a lot easier to diagnose problems.

Reactions: EZRider76
Good luck with this man!!!! I'm glad to see awk is helping with this cause w/o him personally helping me through dozens of messages back & forth I don't think my quad would of been running for the past couple months... The only advice I can tell you is- don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how dumb you think they are, and do a lot of reading on here through the "search" button. There's tons of threads that you can read and learn a ton of info. That's what I did and now I have a way better understanding of how a lot of things work. But don't get discouraged even though jetting can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. Once you pick things up it gets a lot easier to diagnose problems.

You got it, bad thing is I've been in and out of that carb more than a chubby kids hand in a cookie jar (personal experience there. :D). I've just run into a wall and not sure what way to turn...next trick is going to be playing with the choke to see if that makes any difference when it starts acting up. Then hopefully I will know what way to go...but yes, AWK is definitely a life saver, helps when someone shoots straight like he does and doesn't give a lot of BS to chase.

Damn, don't make me beg...wait, you sold your machine??? I:I

No, i SOLD THE F-ING CARB, Thats what i did!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing like passing your headache onto someone else! ive tried for 5 weeks to get it to work, i bought every jet from 120-160 and pilots 39-50, plus 2 needles, TOO MANY SPARK PLUGS and one emulsion tube, i didnt even break even, not by a long shot but, im not loosing anymore sleep or giving that POS another though! its very liberating, you should try it!!!