Shifting without clutch

Yamahafan88

Sep 3, 2010
Illinois
I need your professional opinion. Is it "ok" to shift without the clutch once you're out of first gear. I've heard many opinions on this but i'm just wondering if it will damage anything to shift this way.

i use my clutch for taking off from a dead stop, or snappin it in a corner to keep my slide strong.. beyond that i will use it sometimes drag racing,

just let off the throttle quick click the gear and back on the throttle.. i garuntee i can shift faster with out the clutch than most can with the clutch

depends on how abusive you are being , I can easily shift 2nd thru 6th without using the clutch , its all about timing , you rev it out and just as the revs fall off thats when you click it to the next gear , especially helpfull if your drag racing someone , plus it teaches you to let off the throttle just a bit , cause if you don't and you grab a handfull of clutch you over rev the sh*t out of it and then your either slowing down to drop the revs before letting out the clutch OR you are staring at Jesus and you have a blaster laying on top of you . Should you do it all the time , no , but in certain situations where shifting without the clutch will be beneficial , then its fine .

i only use the clutch going out of 1st or 2nd after that its speed shift till 6th,then when i shift down i always use the clutch

Last edited:
I have also heard both sides but I use it anyway. Its not about what it will hurt if you DONT use it, its about what you avoid hurting when you do use it. I'd rather be safe then sorry and shopping for clutch plates. It's just better to get into the habit of using it. I'm pretty fast with the clutch now because I use it so much. And if you ever get into racing you will want to be used to the clutch or you won't get anything but "Participation" trophies. lol

Last edited:
OK thanks guys ill play with it and see how it feels(no dirty comment intended). But most likely stick to clutching it. I was thinking it might permanently damage it because i had no idea about it.

Yeah it's just a good idea to get used to it. Another thing is the clutch comes in handy at inconvient times. lol It's good to be proficient at using it.

in draggin people i dump the clutch then from there its a slight let off an click o clutch, but ALL other riding is clutch, i do the no clutch just for the faster shift, theres no excessive where on my trany or driven gears so it doesnt really do much bad unless your stupid lol