Shift lever problem..

Yamaha1

May 14, 2014
Flint
Okay I'm back again with another problem.. After taking my whole clutch apart and fixing it. I got it all together besdies the crankcase cover. The shift lever only wants to shift up one time and back down. I have no clue what could be causing it. Anyone know what could be causing it to not shift through all the gears? Do I hve to put the case cover back on for it to shift?

Have you tried it while riding it? Rock it back and forth in gear until it clicks. Then try shifting into second. Repeat. It won't go into the next gear until it advances on the star.

Have you tried it while riding it? Rock it back and forth in gear until it clicks. Then try shifting into second. Repeat. It won't go into the next gear until it advances on the star.
I haven't tried it while riding, I haven't got the cover on it yet. And what should the star look like? Because mine looks like there's a tooth missing unless it is suppose to be like that?

You have to spin the sprocket while your trying to shift the gears, the tooth that appears to be missing should be dipped in, thats neutral. If you dont spin sprocket it wont ever shift through the gears

I haven't tried it while riding, I haven't got the cover on it yet. And what should the star look like? Because mine looks like there's a tooth missing unless it is suppose to be like that?
The one that looks like it's missing is neutral. Put it in first. Then rock the it until the transmission clicks. Shift up to second. Repeat. You should be able to go through all 6 gears. Did you just rebuild it?

You have to spin the sprocket while your trying to shift the gears, the tooth that appears to be missing should be dipped in, thats neutral. If you dont spin sprocket it wont ever shift through the gears
Ok thanks everyone. I will try to spin the sprocket tomorrow and hopefully that's the problem!

The one that looks like it's missing is neutral. Put it in first. Then rock the it until the transmission clicks. Shift up to second. Repeat. You should be able to go through all 6 gears. Did you just rebuild it?
No I didn't just rebuild, just had my clutch took apart because of another problem I was fixing.

If the chain is off you can spin it. If it's on, prop up the rear end so it's off the ground and spin it. Or just sit on it and rock it nice and slow!

Reactions: Yamaha1