shaved my door handle...

MINIGfather

Apr 9, 2009
Well I finally broke my welder out and started shaving my door handles. It started raining and I only go to do one of them here are some pics for you mini truck guys...its not finished yet but with the rain and had to go grocery shopping I had to call it quits for the day......
tack welded up...
IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

layed some mud...
IMG_0032.jpg

finished for now n primed...
IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

you didnt grind the welds down all the way?

i did for the most part. i hand made the filler plates and they were a lil sunk in so I wasnt able to grind it down smooth. the mud was at thickest just over 1/16 thick if that...plus that wasnt finished grinding just a pic i snapped during the process...

You need to get some red (nitro stain I think they call it) puddy on there to smooth it out..........

I dont miss doing body work LOL...........

Looks good though nice work.....

Hope you are going to have a remote opener and a hidden back up push button.......

I remember doing that back in the mid 90s good to see it still around.............

nice start BUT i can still see where the door handle was...

you need to sand it again, than use a 2-3 coats of filler primer, sand them, 2-3 coats filler primer, than sand them smooth...... than you wont see it

not bein a hater....BUT i'll interject how i would've done it

grind those welds FLUSH with the higher steel, and then do a few layers of bondo until its nearly perfect...and then a few coats of high build filler primer and sand her out!

then again it might not be as bad as i think....pics can be very deceiving

thanks for comments...i know you guys arent hating...just giving opinions. but like i stated...those were just a few process pics i snapped...not anywhere near finished grinding sanding or anything. like i said it started raining and had to go grocery shopping, so i just threw some primer on it real quick to protect the filler.

not sure on paint but for now its just gonna all be flat black until I decide what paint i wanna do...its gonna be a 2-tone...thinking white from the body line up and a nice blue from body line down...

nice. yeah it needs some more bondo. but looks good. i got a complete cab shave kit for my s10 but i dont know how to weld and i have no time. but i do have a welder. go figure that one

I've wanted to ask this question for a long time, and I've seen a good amount of cars with the door handles shaved off. My question is, how are you supposed to get in from the outside if you have no handle?

there are a couple of ways...u could get the poppers for them. it uses a key fob w/ an actuator to open. or u could hook a cable to the latch and hide it somewhere and just pull it to open it.

that is true...however ive had friends that couldnt afford the poppers and at around $200 for the set they just did the wire. back in the day that was the only way to do it. there is also a way of linking the lock cylinder rod w/ the door handle rod together so that when you turn your key to unlock the door it also opens the door.

the way i did my toyota was welded a rod to the lock cylinder, but the toyota doors were very light, the s-10 doors are lot heavier you might have problems later on