Seal replacement went wrong

monte715

Dec 1, 2009
Iowa
I replaced all the seals cuz the crank seals were bad. the transmission side was so bad it was hard to tell which direction it goes back in. It can go in 2 ways but I think I put it in wrong cuz it still smokes real bad. Does anyone have a pic or a link so I can see which direction it goes in so when I get the new seal I can put it in correctly. It would be on the tranny side thank you.

2yuj21k.jpg

I am gonna tear it back down tommorow morning and see what I can do to it. I appreciate the pic but the seal kind of looked like that on both sides except it was new. It looked like it could go either way. All I know is it is a new seal and it smokes as bad as the old one. The service manual doesnt really explain too well about the direction. The mag side will only go on one way, but the tranny side looks as if it will work either way. I do thank you for your help.

No I think it is cuz I put the seal in backwards. The crank seal on the kickstart side can go in either way that is why I am trying to get a good pic of it going in the right way cuz the service manual isnt so clear.

general rule #'s face out

there is a lip with a spring behind it that side is to be in...numbers out

also on that seal you should clean and inspect the sleeve that goes over the crank and if it is grooved you should be able to flip it...I dont thing there is an o-ring between it and the crank like vw's