Scrambler 400 or 400ex or..?

not saying they' the fastest thing ever, but i'v seen video proof buddy, heck, i'v kept up with and beat a 440ex once, dragged 3 times, first he got me with a quad length, 2nd he was a tad infront, 3rd i got him bad doff the start and finished about 3 quad lengths infront

I know alot more about these quads, and i dont mean to call you out, but 440's are slow, i smoked my friend who has a 440ex, and they have more torque, hardly any topend. When you increase bore size, and keep stock stroke, you always end up making it more "torquee". But, if I take a 426ex, stage 2 hot cam, full exhaust (good brand name) pipe, Keihin FCR carb (crf450r), jet it accordingly, I can hang with 450r's. The 440ex will not keep up with 450's because of the loss in top end....

I know alot more about these quads, and i dont mean to call you out, but 440's are slow, i smoked my friend who has a 440ex, and they have more torque, hardly any topend. When you increase bore size, and keep stock stroke, you always end up making it more "torquee". But, if I take a 426ex, stage 2 hot cam, full exhaust (good brand name) pipe, Keihin FCR carb (crf450r), jet it accordingly, I can hang with 450r's. The 440ex will not keep up with 450's because of the loss in top end....

my 03 426ex would outrun 450s tell it ran out of gear than the 450s would pass it

mine wasnt reliable... prev owner had a hack job mechanic do the rebuilt... 20 hours later junk.... wish it wouldnt have been junk.. machine had alot of money in it..

jannsen outlaw +2 arms tcs shocks, durablue+ 4 axle, lsr carrier, maier race plastics, tag fat bars with anti vib risers, yoshi exhaust, with shorty muffler, bigger carb, diamond plate aluminum air box, uni filter, stage 2 cam, 426 kit, ac bumper, ac grab bar, ac nerfs, tether kill switch, off set front rims, 8'' aluminum rear rims

not saying they' the fastest thing ever, but i'v seen video proof buddy, heck, i'v kept up with and beat a 440ex once, dragged 3 times, first he got me with a quad length, 2nd he was a tad infront, 3rd i got him bad doff the start and finished about 3 quad lengths infront

With what mods? Just the ones in your sig?......not happening. I've had 2 piped/filtered Blasters race a stock 400ex and neither one won.....even after switching riders as well. The Blaster's got smoked through the gears and with 14/40 gearing were about even near top speed. Now once you get into porting, stroking, etc. it's another story.

Even a ported 240 would not beat a 400ex....I wouldnt be going around saying stuff like that, because honestly, 4 strokes are here to say even if we dont like it. love 2 smokes to death, but blasters are not very reliable, neither are any 2 strokes.

saying you love 2 strokes and they are not reliable in the same sentace doesnt make any sense at all???
not talking any trash but come to awks kens spose to be there im guessing he will have his ported 240 :D your on a 2 stroke forum saying 2 strokes arnt reliable?? cant we just stop all this and just enjoy riding.
heres an unported 240, 400 gets it by a hair so ported one would probley destroy it
heres our member super noober almost geting one with a stock bore ported blaster this was when he was having problems geting the carb tuned once he got it dialed in he had smoked it

Last edited by a moderator:
saying you love 2 strokes and they are not reliable in the same sentace doesnt make any sense at all???
not talking any trash but come to awks kens spose to be there im guessing he will have his ported 240 :D your on a 2 stroke forum saying 2 strokes arnt reliable?? cant we just stop all this and just enjoy riding.
heres an unported 240, 400 gets it by a hair so ported one would probley destroy it
YouTube - Yamaha Blaster 240 Vs Honda 400ex
heres our member super noober almost geting one with a stock bore ported blaster this was when he was having problems geting the carb tuned once he got it dialed in he had smoked it
YouTube - my stroker blaster vs slightly modded 400ex (jetting, exhaust,+1 sprocket)

Saying 2 strokes aren't reliable and saying you like them? There is nothing wrong with that at all. That's the joy if you ask me, but its still a never ending money pit, I can get 250 hours out of a 4 poke, while a 2 smoke may only get half of that, but the bill may get more expensive with the 4 poke... Sorry for coming across as a smartass, but like i said earlier in this thread, I dont like it when people go around saying the ex's are slow, saying they aren't reliable, and saying that blasters, of all quads, are fasters than them.....99LRD, thanks for at least pointing it out that 04blaster would get whooped....and again, I apologize for being rude.

Saying 2 strokes aren't reliable and saying you like them? There is nothing wrong with that at all. That's the joy if you ask me, but its still a never ending money pit, I can get 250 hours out of a 4 poke, while a 2 smoke may only get half of that, but the bill may get more expensive with the 4 poke... Sorry for coming across as a smartass, but like i said earlier in this thread, I dont like it when people go around saying the ex's are slow, saying they aren't reliable, and saying that blasters, of all quads, are fasters than them.....99LRD, thanks for at least pointing it out that 04blaster would get whooped....and again, I apologize for being rude.
& to hudack, a ported 240 would cream a stock 400, no doubt, but I'm talking about my modded 402....I don't even have a cam(shaft) either. But whats helps on the ex's is lightening up the flywheel, increases torque.....

& to hudack, a ported 240 would cream a stock 400, no doubt, but I'm talking about my modded 402....I don't even have a cam(shaft) either. But whats helps on the ex's is lightening up the flywheel, increases torque.....

MAYBE. It would be an interesting race, especially if the 240 was ported and running a decent sized carb of 35mm or more. Your 400ex doesn't really have that many mods, and those mods don't create the % gains you will see from most 2 stroke mods. Hell, the low-tech air cooled 4 XR400 engine barely even responds to a pipe. You are lucky to get 2 hp out of a slip on.

MAYBE. It would be an interesting race, especially if the 240 was ported and running a decent sized carb of 35mm or more. Your 400ex doesn't really have that many mods, and those mods don't create the % gains you will see from most 2 stroke mods. Hell, the low-tech air cooled 4 XR400 engine barely even responds to a pipe. You are lucky to get 2 hp out of a slip on.

Mine is dynoed at 36hp. I do agree though, the gains are minimum if any. But once i get my head ported and a cam, say bye bye, to my little friend. lol

You guys are nuts I have 2 scrambler 400's 4x4 and they go about 55-60 tops stock and pretty peppy . You can upgrade them to 78hp pretty easy with a racing clutch that adds 25% better overall performance you can hang with banshees and it's 4x4. Let me say I meant you have to do the 440 big bore and pipe and what nots but all in all