Scrambler 400 or 400ex or..?

05blasterkid

Apr 24, 2010
Corning, NY
Alright so I have my blaster and I'm sure most of you know I want to get rid of it. There is a 400ex that is mostly stock that needs a battery or a Polaris scrambler 400 that I could trade my blaster for. Are either of these quads worth trading for?

If the scrambler 400 is in good condition and has 4wd I would go for it. I had one last year, selling it was a huge mistake. Depends what you want, the scrambler (if 4x4) is more centered around mudding, but is decently fast. Here in Canada that would be a great deal, but I'm not sure about you crazy quad selling yankees.

Last edited:
no. yamaha blaster= no battery to go dead and no valves that need adjusted. also blasters are light and 400s are heavy. plus they are 4 stroke. go on a 4 stroke forum and ask them. they will tell you to trade. we will tell you not to. but we are right. they are wrong.

i have a chance to get a scrambler 400 for free. i turned it down cause i cant lift it in the back of my truck. but its all up to you man. theyre heavy and slow imo. when my blaster was stock i almost beat one

the scrambler 400 is a 2 stroke, same deal as the blaster but it does have a battery, with pull start back up. any good battery and good working electrical system will not result in a dead battery. And it isn't a race quad, its a cross over, (IF its a 4x4, which mine was) they're still pretty fast considering what you can put them through. and a 400 is going to be heavy to pick up, no way around that. bigger engine, more weight. but more power also.

Alright so I have my blaster and I'm sure most of you know I want to get rid of it. There is a 400ex that is mostly stock that needs a battery or a Polaris scrambler 400 that I could trade my blaster for. Are either of these quads worth trading for?

Between those 2, get the 400ex. It is far and away the better quad. Scrambler 400s are from the crap Polaris era where all they made were basically retardedly heavy crossover "sport" quads like the Yamaha Wolverine basically. It's a utility ATV with sport plastic and nothing more. The 400ex is faster, more reliable, handles better, and is better in just about every way in the essence of being a sport quad. You can scrap the battery crap and just put a kick starter on the 400ex. I hate batteries and electric start quads.

This is like asking whether you want a Corvette or a Civic Si.

@99lrdblaster actually comparing the two is like comparing a civic Si to a jeep.

Neither one of those is a corvette...

I wouldn't really trade my blaster for either one of those (the 400ex or scrambler, not the civic or jeep).

If the scrambler 400 is in good condition and has 4wd I would go for it. I had one last year, selling it was a huge mistake. Depends what you want, the scrambler (if 4x4) is more centered around mudding, but is decently fast. Here in Canada that would be a great deal, but I'm not sure about you crazy quad selling yankees.

What did you like about your scrambler? The one the guy has is a 99' and idk if it's 4x4. I'm still waiting on pics of it.

What did you like about your scrambler? The one the guy has is a 99' and idk if it's 4x4. I'm still waiting on pics of it.

Mine was a 1997 400 2 stroke 4x4, IMO it isn't worth it unless his is 4x4 as well. Mine really was a go anywhere machine, had it up to the seat in water, plowed through very deep mud, it has kick when you give it throttle, and it is decently fast. Can't remember exactly but it was faster than all my friends' 4x4s.

If it was me, and it was a 4x4 version, I'd take it, but it depends on what you want to do, go fast, 400ex, go muddin, scrambler.

It sounds suitable for you, but in the end, its up to you if you want it or not. I want to see pics to see what kind of condition its in, and if its 4wd or not.

The only thing I would change is add a low gear, any 4x4 should have one. It just has F-N-R on a stick shifter.

I like the Scrambler 400 its a 2 stroke and if its a 4X4 and in good shape it would make a good all around woods ride.. and have you seen some of the Big Bore kits for the Scrambler???

My bro-in-law has a 96 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 with a big bore kit in it and its fun as hell. I'd love to get a Scrambler 400 4x4 to play in the mud!!!!

I dont know if the HP they give is true but it looks good.....Look >>>>>> Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Scrambler 400

If the HP is true then it looks like some fun..lol:D

Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Two Stroke - Top End Pipes

you can get up to 62hp out of them with the right mods, Mine had a K&N Filter and a DG exhaust, it was pretty powerful.

i say neither.. there are sooo many better choices out there

we're going by what's available now.

The power-weight ratio on the 500lb Polaris is the same as the 400lb Honda, honestly it depends on how you ride. The Polaris will destroy the Honda off the line and is capable of hanging with the fastest stock bikes in a drag if you put a little money into them. I have a little over $1000 total (including bike) into my 400 and I am making around 60-70hp. The Polaris has CVT clutches which can be tuned for your riding style. I have mine set to stall to a high RPM so I can be in my power band in two seconds. I also have the HPD Plain spring which is amazing for trail riding, giving me copious amounts of power whenever I want it. The only thing about my quad that I really dislike is the weight and cornering ability which is really the only thing the honda has on a 400 polaris.

Reactions: mikemendo