Run rear brakes to handlebars

WatchMeFly023

May 3, 2012
I have a prosthetic leg I can't use the foot brake and would rather have rear brakes then front. How would I go about running the rear brakes to the handlebars?

this can be done very easily. if you have a cable brake, then a longer cable is needed with a end that will fit a handlever. if its hydro, then a 60inch soft line with a banjo bolt fitting on both ends is needed. a new cable will run $30 at a harley shop, a hydro softline will be around $60 at most autoparts stores.

Heres an idea:

5925-all-one.jpg

Handlebar brake cable (for hydros) runs into a splitter that goes to the front hydros and rear hydro, locking everything up at once. Not really the best idea, but something to consider

^yep this can be done but its dicey. the best route to put both to the handlever is a twin chamber proportioning valve or 2 single valves and a T between thelever and valves. ive eliminated the footbrake on my blaster as it was hard to control brake pressure and i often forgot about it. i have my rear brake running off a hydro hand lever from a lt250s.

A automotive perportioning valve would do the trick , one lever and splits the pressure say 70/30 Rear Front . And it's adjustable so you can tailor it the way you want .
I'm glad to hear that you don't let that hold you back , and you are still out there 2 smokin!

Thanks so much guys I appreciate it a Lot. I just got my blaster it's an 03 black/red pretty nice codition had to buy a chain bearings and needed front brake pads. The front brake calipers were seized to the disk though so I just released the bleed screw And Tore them
off completely. Now I have flipped front wheels and hopefully going to run the rear brakes and wha la.

oh i know, i already do its just reallly hard to keep that balance point without the brake but i can shift 2nd- 5th i could go to 6th but run out of road :p

The 2005 honda trx250ex I got my girl has the footpedal and right-handle bar option for the rear brake. if you go to the honda dealer web site or rockymountainatv.com and pull up the parts diagram for this model you should be able to get an idea of what you'll need.

Good luck!

Heres an idea:

5925-all-one.jpg

Handlebar brake cable (for hydros) runs into a splitter that goes to the front hydros and rear hydro, locking everything up at once. Not really the best idea, but something to consider

That is a nice clean setup, but way to much breaking power! I bet it would stop on a dime in a straight line but coming to a hairpin your gonna get tossed.