Rpm range?

ks_2k_blast

Feb 19, 2010
Just wondering what my rpm range is on my 96 blaster. 35mm carb, fmf fatty pipes, ported almost to a drag port, jetted. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you talking about max rpm? Rpm where the most power is? What exactly are you asking?

Just wondering what my rpm range is on my 96 blaster. 35mm carb, fmf fatty pipes, ported almost to a drag port, jetted. Anyone have any ideas?

With that setup it's probably setup to run about 8800rpm. Not that it matters. Peak power is probably somewhere around 7500.

Here is a MX ported dyno for comparison.
Blaster_200.jpg

if its truely a drag port with an FMF pipe....you need to get a different pipe. the FMF is not in any way a top end pipe

From idle to max. Just a general guess cuz I know that very few idle the same. Like 1000-9000 or somewhere in there. Just a curiosity thing.

that's probably in the neighborhood, but you most likely only have 5k-9k of useable power if its a drag port, maybe higher.

no way to tell without dyno time

I been lookin at pipes. Bought it as is about a month ago. Havent had time to do much to it yet. Can already tell it has potential.

Thanks guys. Im more of a trail rider tho, should I get top end pipes cuz of the port, or mid range pipes for my style of riding?

the whole package needs to work together...

the carb/intake needs to fit the engine size and port, the port and pipe need to match, everything has to work together as a complete unit.

Ok. I think the carb is good. Just need to clean it up and get a top end pipe, then rejet. Thanks.

35mm carb, fmf fatty pipes, ported almost to a drag port

Three things that aren't going together.

The carburetor doesn't have enough velocity at the lower rpm's where the pipe is most efficient. A full drag ported cylinder doesn't produce power at the lower rpm's you're going to use trail riding.

The FMF is good for trail riding but other two are at the very least overkill and maybe even detrimental.

As brandoz said, the parts of the system need to work together. If you are trail riding, you probably don't want the other stuff.

like i said, i havent had it long, so i only have about 4-5 hours of ride time on it, and that has been in my parents field, and a few tight semi muddy utility trails in a neighbors field. seemed to have better low end than my 2000 blaster i used to have. it was stock except a 30mm mikuni carb, lrd pipe, and jetted. my new one pulls the front up easier, holds it longer, and feels like it has the same top speed. but im all ears to any advice. im lookin to make the bike as good as it can be. i prefer trails, but ill build it to whatever its best suited for, since you cant un-port it. so what do you guys recommend?

if you put a reed spacer between the cylinder and the reed cage it will lower the power curve, so you will loose some power on top and gain some in the lower range

to your original post, mine peaks at about 9300rpm

Last edited:
How do you know it has drag porting? Does the rest of it look like it was set up for dragging? P.O. might have B.S. you. Only way to really tell is with a degree wheel.

Yeah. The guy said his friend started a shop and did it. Said it was almost a drag port. No extended swing arm or axle or a arms tho. Banshee shocks. Your Probly right, guy bs'd me. Its ok tho since I didnt want a drag bike. Lol.