Riding the Blaster in the sand

Blaster72

Jun 30, 2011
Nebraska
I got to do some sand riding last weekend. It was my first sand riding. I thought the blaster would do better in the sand. I had to run it hard and got the motor warm. I'm running Maxxis Razr tires front and rear. Fronts are 19 and rears are 18. Maybe I'm expecting to much out of my blaster. It was like I had a snow plow on the front when in the sand. I was running 5 psi all around. Most of the trails were dirt with a few sand dunes. Any thoughts?

they arent sand machines really, i have alot of sand around my house but its bigger grains and they go decnt on it, but i imagine a large hill or finer sand they arent great on

it probably would do better in the sand with actual sand tires front and rear. dirt tires tend to dig in sand and make the machine work harded

Ok hear goes.
18" rears are way too small for soft sand! I used to get stuck just looking at the sand...
20-21" are much better, and if you feel the bike slowing down, gear up and get the wheels spinning faster. Trust me, when you hit the power band on sand, you fly over the sand. hehe (o well, thats just my experience)
If you come to a complete stop, you are screwed! especially with the 18s. I had to physically pull my bike out of the sand trail by hand, as it was going nowhere!!! Got stuck in the first 10-15meters.

Im not afraid of sand anymore, but had some fun in very sticky mud last week :)

Im not so sure the blasters are that great dune machines though, sand is hard on a engine, and the water cooled machines are better suited for that. (not that im saying it cant be done, I will go anywhere with my blaster where any other atv has gone)

Next year I am planning another trip to Namibia, there are really nice dunes there, but will rent a bike though...

Dont put sand tires on the rear, they will be too much for the blaster and probably blow it up.

89blaster89 did it last year.

ken says not to do it also