Reed cage questions

86SICKSTANG

Feb 15, 2013
euclid, oh
After spending my saturday working on my new blaster the longest I was able to get it running was for 30 sec. It keeps backfiring every once and a while and im only able to start it at half throttle when it does start. Theres about 2 mm gap between the clear flaps and the cage on the bottom side, at the edge. On the top side the screws are very loose. There was also 2 gasket between the reed cage and the jug but nothing between the intake tube and reed cage. The previous owner broke a bolt inside the the jug that holds the tube and reed cage to the jug. Let me know if there should be a gap between the reeds and the cage.

GOPR0191_zpse6a111cd.jpg

cant tell the pics are kinda blurry, i see you have alot of hot wheels on the wall, i used to collect em when i was younger lol i probally have over 2000 hotwheels collected up, wanna buy some? alot of them are in packages still

Yea my gopro does take good pics when moving. pretty much my reeds look fatigued and the screws for the top are so loose the washers can be moved up and down. Should I just get some boyesen power reeds and be done with the old ones. I have another wall with hot wheels and others that are in the closet. I have enough hot wheels at the moment.
let me know if these are a good buy.
Boyesen Power Reeds Yamaha YFS 200 Blaster 1988 2006 630 | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
those are great, i use to have the same ones, if you have the cash just get them since your reeds are already out, sure you dont want any hot wheels lol, got a volkswagen beachbomb redline lol from like 1968

there are some pretty good deals on the vforce3 on ebay i found some for 50 if i dident have to buy a new clutch basket and clutch plates i would have bought them

I just want get this blaster running good before I start dumping lots of money into it. I finally got good spark and compression just not getting good air and fuel delivery. I cleaned the carb out and its working great but its getting to much air with the gasket leaks. Hopefully new reeds, gaskets, fixing the broken bolt in the jug to get it tighten down evenly fixes the problem. If not I part out the engine and put a decent 500cc twin cylinder engine on it.
Im might need a new clutch soon, front wheel bearings, front wheel and tire, rear brake pads, chain and sprockets, filter. Hopefully thats it.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the name of this game . . . Always spending money to fix, replace, or upgrade something ! But its well worth it when your out with the throttle wide open screamin down a trail 8 )
It definitely sounds like you have a problem caused by bad reed petals, should be running much better once the new ones are installed. You will definitely want to take care of any problems that will cause an air leak before you take her our ridin. Air leak = running lean, running lean = buying a new top end kit way before you should have to. Not to mention possible case and or crank damage from a shattered piston/piston skirt. Performing leak tests and plug chops to confirm proper jetting will be your ticket to a long lasting engine ! Get familiar with both if you arnt already ! You can use the "search" function at the top of the page to learn all you'll need to know about leak testing, plug chopping, and much more.

Ive been reading up as much as I can since Im not use to workin on 2 stroke engines. The previous owner did a number on this quad but I had it running in about 3 hours. I just hate fixing other peoples hack jobs but it will be worth it once I hear that 200cc 2 stroke monster scream.

Haha yes it will ! And I'm with yah, fixing other people's stupidity is the worst. This is definitely the site to help you get your blaster running right and keep her runnin that way, no matter how hacked it was by the previous owner.

Bad reeds will cause starting and idle problems, but often run fine at higher rpm.
Air leaks will cause starting, idle, jetting and total destruction problems.
The reeds need all 4 bolts working and a gasket on each side.

The differences between different makes of reed are small.

Steve

How r the vito stage 2 reeds got a lil package for free from a guy and it has them in it and I don't know if I should put them in it what do u think

How r the vito stage 2 reeds got a lil package for free from a guy and it has them in it and I don't know if I should put them in it what do u think

if they're laying flat to the cage, reed stops are there, and loc-tite was used on the screws....run 'em !

I bought a blaster that when you put into any gear it's slow. It tops out at like 12mph in 6th gear. There's vforce 3 reeds in it. Could the reeds be the problem?