Rebuilding the blaster and the FMF silencer won't fit on the stock exhaust.

Yamaha700R

Jun 6, 2016
I get ready to attach the FMF silencer that was on the bike when it was bought, and it doesn't fit very well. It slips off the stock head pipe. Looked at the rubber connector boot, and I think it held the two exhaust pieces together. I adjusted all the mounts, and still won't fit. The silencer only slips on about a centimeter. I wonder if a FMF head pipe would solve the problem, or if I need to get a full exhaust.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 377
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 344
Um bud I think you need the rubber thing that connects the pipes toghter
I started a thread in the build forum talking more about this. You need to understand that I have the connector rubber boot, however the boot should not be the only piece that couples the silencer on to the head pipe. With the mounts loose, the silencer on the bike barely touches the head pipe end. Here are some pics. The silencer should slide onto the head pipe with the boot helping holding everything in place. The pic that shows the two pipes closest is me, every mount loose, and all my man power forcing the two pieces together. The problem is not a rubber boot. The exhausts pieces are not fitting together. The way for me to figure out what is going on is to pick a used stock muffler, and seeing where and how it mounts to the head pipe. I believe at this point it might be silencer that is causing the issue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 377
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 362
The only thing that holds the expansion chamber to the silencer is the rubber boot. nothing else, notta, zilch, zero. The one and only lol.
Buddy, you look at every picture of exhausts on the Internet, the silencer slides on to head pipe. Maybe I am having a hard time describing the issue. If you correlate the problem to sex, the head pipe isn't getting any action, because the end of the muffler can't slide on him. They can't reach.

Buddy, you look at every picture of exhausts on the Internet, the silencer slides on to head pipe. Maybe I am having a hard time describing the issue. If you correlate the problem to sex, the head pipe isn't getting any action, because the end of the muffler can't slide on him. They can't reach.
When we bought the blaster about sixteen years ago, the previous owners jimmy rigged a banshee carb lid on the blaster carb. They used silicone to attach the two. While driving the carb lid came off, and revved the engine to the roof, ruining the connecting rod bearing. It wouldn't surprise me if the silencer was the wrong silencer or a damaged silencer.

Oh I understand. But im just pointing out that the pipes are not screwed together. Yes the slide over but they are not physically attached except for the rubber clamp. Its possible the pipes are bent and not allowing matting?

Oh I understand. But im just pointing out that the pipes are not screwed together. Yes the slide over but they are not physically attached except for the rubber clamp. Its possible the pipes are bent and not allowing matting?
It's all good. It could be bent. I figure if I picked up a stock silencer I could figure what's bent. I'll have to run over to the muffler shop to see if they can bend the muffler to fit. I almost bought a new exhaust system, but I am running down to Utah to pick up a Kymco Mongoose 300 for my daughter.