Jun 20, 2017
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG
Bought a blaster a few months back and now time to tear it down and rebuild

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 240
Why isn't it done already? Get crackin'!

And more pictures, we really like pictures.

Some advice from an old guy who has built lots of stuff over the years:
(and had a few garage queens too)
1) Don't try to do too much at once, or it will never get finished.
2) Build a good foundation (frame and bottom end), everything else just bolts on.
3) Get it running first, fix the broken stuff like brakes, cables, wiring, rollers, etc.
3) Start with as few modifications as possible at first. Mods=headaches=delays
4) Do your mods one at a time, mainly to see if each really is an improvement.
(I've known many heavily modified machines that were worse than stock!)
5) Keep it running and ride it. Garage queens are really boring to all of us.
So get it running, ride it, and take lots of pictures!

Some guys like to keep it at home and spend their time polishing it,
others get it out and ride wild, risking dirt and damage for lifetime thrills.
Well, this applies to Blasters too!

MORE PHOTOS.

1) Don't try to do too much at once, or it will never get finished.

Oh so that's why its been a year and a bit for my rebuild lol.

It's coming along I threw some stuff on just so I can roll
It around

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 234
Reactions: best
it was normally yellow and I sand blasted it and primered it. That was the grey color you seen after I primered it and now it is gloss white

Attachments

• IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 229
Reactions: Markblaster
From a guy who has swapped an MX motor into a Blaster:
196673_10150156145500803_667441_n.jpg

... trust me, you are better off with the Blaster motor.
Better gear ratios, perfect fit, no water hoses and rad to fail and we can show you how to make power.

I have 3 Blasters, one stock, a stroked and bored one, and the MX powered one.
My previous quad was a 660 Raptor, and I wouldn't go back.
My son has a Banshee as well as his Blasters, and yet we usually take the Blasters when we go riding.

It is very easy to get double the horsepower out of the Blaster motor and the gear ratios are perfect.

From a guy who has swapped an MX motor into a Blaster:
196673_10150156145500803_667441_n.jpg

... trust me, you are better off with the Blaster motor.
Better gear ratios, perfect fit, no water hoses and rad to fail and we can show you how to make power.

I have 3 Blasters, one stock, a stroked and bored one, and the MX powered one.
My previous quad was a 660 Raptor, and I wouldn't go back.
My son has a Banshee as well as his Blasters, and yet we usually take the Blasters when we go riding.

It is very easy to get double the horsepower out of the Blaster motor and the gear ratios are perfect.
With your experience what's the better bang for the buck, big bore kit or a 3mm stroker with port work

With your experience what's the better bang for the buck, big bore kit or a 3mm stroker with port work

I have a Vito's Big Bore Kit and 3mm stroker on this Blaster:
16406831_10154814609700803_3164883981717178923_n.jpg

Both these mods together probably raise the HP from 17 stock to maybe 25-28hp at a bit lower rpm.
I was disappointed with the off idle performance so I added a torroidal chambered head.
(This was with an FMF pipe which by itself raised stock power from 17hp to about 20hp)

My recommendation would be unless you NEED a crank or a cylinder, don't buy the BBK or stroker expecting a big jump in power. It is a lot of money for the moderate bump in torque. It is easy and cheap to get over 30hp on the stock bore and stroke.

If it is power you want, the formula is simple 1) rechamberd head, 2) open up the airbox intake, 3) a better pipe, 4) Minor port work, 5) plug chop to get the jetting right. This will put you at over 30hp IF DONE RIGHT.

I would not worry about all that right now unless you need a crank. Get your frame rebuild done and running. Even 17hp is darned fun. 25hp is serious running, 30 is running with the Banshees, Raptors and 400s. That will come, get it running first.

Both these mods together probably raise the HP from 17 stock to maybe 25-28hp at a bit lower rpm.
I was disappointed with the off idle performance so I added a torroidal chambered head.
(This was with an FMF pipe which by itself raised stock power from 17hp to about 20hp)

My recommendation would be unless you NEED a crank or a cylinder, don't buy the BBK or stroker expecting a big jump in power. It is a lot of money for the moderate bump in torque. It is easy and cheap to get over 30hp on the stock bore and stroke.

If it is power you want, the formula is simple 1) rechamberd head, 2) open up the airbox intake, 3) a better pipe, 4) Minor port work, 5) plug chop to get the jetting right. This will put you at over 30hp IF DONE RIGHT.

I would not worry about all that right now unless you need a crank. Get your frame rebuild done and running. Even 17hp is darned fun. 25hp is serious running, 30 is running with the Banshees, Raptors and 400s. That will come, get it running

I would not worry about all that right now unless you need a crank. Get your frame rebuild done and running. Even 17hp is darned fun. 25hp is serious running, 30 is running with the Banshees, Raptors and 400s. That will come, get it running first.
The motor does run, it seems it runs fine but when you hit the throttle it takes a few seconds to come back down to idle, not quite sure if that's from poor jetting or possible air leak the motor seems to be stock no port work done and oem reeds with the reed stopper still on the cage, and it has 110psi compression

Has full fmf exhaust and air box lid removed, I can't remembered what size jet I put in it, I went to local power sports store I think they recommended to start with 260, 270 and 280 main and just went up one size on the piolet jet, I do remember I put the needle in the middle position

Here's somthing I was pondering, with all the mods that can be one to the motor is it still possible to use the oem carb or at some point you will need a larger carb to jet it porperly?

Could be both. The forum just helped me with mine and it turned out to be a lean pilot jet for me. First do a leak test.then set your float height correctly. After that if it continues, turn your airscrew 1 1/2 turns out from seated and start turning in slowly to see if it goes away. If none of this helps you, try a larger pilot jet. Cost me $5. Search carb tuning.