rear wheel bearing play?

niterider89

Sep 26, 2012
STL
Im new, and you guys seem pretty knowledgeable around here. picked up a 91 blaster(my first quad) cheap two weeks ago took it apart to paint and repair minor things. i was wondering how much if any play is ok at the rear wheel bearings. I have very minimal play maybe a 1/16" if that but wasn't sure how tight they are supposed to be. its a 21 year old machine and i know nothing about the history. also my front sprocket has some play too im assuming that should have no play in it , but it must be the shaft because i replaced the sprocket due to wasted teeth. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the front sprocket will have some play in it(not front to back but more inwards outwards) and the bearings in the axle carrier should have zero play in them.

A word of advice, replace the chain and rear sprocket as well.

If the front sprocket was that worn, I can just imagine the state of the chain, much longer between links to fit that new sprocket.

The new sprocket will soon be trash, unless the chain breaks before it wears it out.

If the chain does break you may have another hole in the case to contend with.

ok thanks guys. are those bearings hard to replace? and i had a 14t front sprocket so i got the same thing the rear is a 41t what would you recommend?

The bearings can be Bar Stewards to replace, especially getting the axle out.

If you have trouble ask for advice.

As to sprockets, what type of riding do you want to do?

Thanks Blaaster for all your help i'll let you know what i go with and how it all goes.thanks to 98blaster+4 also

i wasn't going to take the motor apart, its starts on the first kick and seems to run great. i took the carb apart and cleaned it up and set the air/fuel mixture. but like i said it seems to run great.

Still a good idea to leak test it.

The very first thing I do when I obtain a 2 stroke is to leak test, I don't want any nasty suprises.

A leaky motor can run great, but not for long.

Still a good idea to leak test it.

The very first thing I do when I obtain a 2 stroke is to leak test, I don't want any nasty suprises.

A leaky motor can run great, but not for long.

agreed if you have a air leak and dont fix it your piston might end up like this
testscan794.jpg

just read the diy post for the leakdown tester i'm off thursday i guess i will make a tester and see what i got. thanks fellas

testscan794.jpg

Classic example of improper break in, or not allowing the motor to warm up before riding with a forged piston..

acualy i did but i think i had a air leak and the spacers that go between the rod and the crank one of them were missing and the wrist pin is froze in the piston and the top of the piston is brown