rear shock length/opinions

first off all 3 ...trx250r, trx450r and 400ex shocks all need the bottom stock mount drilled to the new larger size hole in the shock, and a new pin used

i just measured an extra trx250r shock today for brute71, it is 16.5" eye to eye.
(sale pending)
with my sons +4 swinger, it raised the backend around 6", way too much, so a new mount on the swinger was needed, but gave huge gains in travel, prolly close to the 12" freek reported
for the top you need to shave off some of the internal bushing, for it to fit in between the stock mounts, then use kens bushings on the outside of the stock mounts to reduce the internal size of mounting holes to the smaller size of the 250r shock and use a new bolt
seems the stock top bolt on the blaster shock is way larger than both these shocks and prolly for it's own purpose too

the 450r shock bolts right in with kens bushings, needed for the bolt reduction and used inside our mounts as spacers, it must be very close to stock length, as i noticed no difference in ride height, but huge gains in plush performance,
i ride hard in very rough stuff, so my shocks are all set to the stiffest settings
but the rezzie is offset to the kicker side, requiring the front tab of the rear fender and some of the plastic itself to be cut out for it to fit.
tab removed is circled in red here.........................
viem9g.jpg

Last edited:
first off all 3 ...trx250r, trx450r and 400ex shocks all need the bottom stock mount drilled to the new larger size hole in the shock, and a new pin used

i just measured an extra trx250r shock today for brute71, it is 16.5" eye to eye.
(sale pending)
with my sons +4 swinger, it raised the backend around 6", way too much, so a new mount on the swinger was needed, but gave huge gains in travel, prolly close to the 12" freek reported
for the top you need to shave off some of the internal bushing, for it to fit in between the stock mounts, then use kens bushings on the outside of the stock mounts to reduce the internal size of mounting holes to the smaller size of the 250r shock and use a new bolt
seems the stock top bolt on the blaster shock is way larger than both these shocks and prolly for it's own purpose too

the 450r shock bolts right in with kens bushings, needed for the bolt reduction and used inside our mounts as spacers, it must be very close to stock length, as i noticed no difference in ride height, but huge gains in plush performance,
i ride hard in very rough stuff, so my shocks are all set to the stiffest settings
but the rezzie is offset to the kicker side, requiring the front tab of the rear fender and some of the plastic itself to be cut out for it to fit.
tab removed is circled in red here.........................
viem9g.jpg

did you have to drill out the bottom mount on the 450 shock? thats the only thing im leery about... 1000 dollar rear shock and ill be destroying it