Rear Brake Mechanical Caliper

RobJ

Oct 25, 2008
Hello,

I just took apart the rear caliper to clean and regrease it. I was thinking that there will be an assembly drawing in the service manual so I was not too worried about how it will go back together. Well there is no assembly drawing. Does anyone have one?

Thanx and have a great day,

94YFS200FMNHC10.gif

Thanx Hatchhonda19, but that is the same one as in the service manual. It doesn't have a whole lot of detail. For example it does not even show the spring, ball bearings, bearing washer etc. Missing quite a bit of stuff in the drawing. Thanx again, does anyone have one with more detail?

how about this,next time you dissassemble(however its written) something remember how it was and what went where, not trying to be mean but that should be one of the top rules when dealing with mechanics.

how about this,next time you dissassemble(however its written) something remember how it was and what went where, not trying to be mean but that should be one of the top rules when dealing with mechanics.

Thanx for the advice and I am aware of that rule also. I did pay attention and have since put it back together I:I, however a more detailed picture would have been nice.

Have a great day.

dont let ppl on the internet piss you off. im sure you will get it.. brain farts happen to everyone...and don't be afraid to do your own work.take a pic of what your have problem with and ill take apart mine and take a pic for you.. just show me what your working with first.

Thanx guys for your offers to help. He was (darealblaster) right about taking things apart, he must have learned that in mechanics class. But I ensure you I am no novice when it comes to mechanics. Have worked on many pieces of equipment ranging form 1,000 hp diesels to down lawnmowers and everything inbetween. Doesn't mean that I am an expert, but do have quite a bit of experience.

I got the caliper all together and it works great. In hindsight, I should have taken pictures and done a DIY post on how to rebuild them. One thing that I did was clean up the top and bottom surfaces where the three ball bearing are with my Dremel. They were pitted so I cleaned it up a bit. These are the balls that actually apply the brakes as the lever is applied. The balls were also pitted as well. I have an old scrap powerhead from an outboard, took it apart, cut apart the crank bearing and stole the balls from there. Cleaned and greased it all and put it back together. Smooth operation and works great.

When you take something apart you it always "seems easy" or you will "remember" how to put it back together. then once you get to the putting it back together there is always one or 2 parts that you just go "where did this come from" I have done it a million times and everybody that wrenches on their own stuff all knows that they have a bunch of "spare" bolts that came off of their builds that they "dont know where they came from".