Rear axle chain adjustment

ScottSchwarzer

Apr 16, 2012
North Carolina
So I went to change my chain and sprockets and everything is going swell, except when i try to loosen the two rear axle carrier nuts that you must loosen in order to adjust chain slack they won't budge and I am only rounding off the nuts. They're as soft as butter... Are they a reverse thread?

heat just the nut with a propane torch
then use a six point socket or wrench on them, not 12 point.

Last edited:
There's always something isnt there! Can't just change my sprockets and chain without tearing something up. I'll try all of the above, something should work. Worst case Ill just have to buy a new nut.

So I went to change my chain and sprockets and everything is going swell, except when i try to loosen the two rear axle carrier nuts that you must loosen in order to adjust chain slack they won't budge and I am only rounding off the nuts. They're as soft as butter... Are they a reverse thread?

not reverse thread...i had to heat it beat a 6 point socket on the nut then use a impact then had to beat the socket off the nut but now its not as stripped anymore

I was able to get it loose with some vice grips on the nut while turning the 17mm bolt. Then when i went to adjust my slack my two adjusters are uneven somehow so i couldn't use the marks they give you. So lets hope my axle is aligned right...

It looks pretty straight but I don't really have an accurate way to tell since those adjusters are being weird and I can't use the provided indents. I would hope I don't wear out the sprockets I just replaced lol.