Race Gas

You shouldn't really run any leaded fuel in a vehicle that doesn't require regular maintenance intervals.

Drag cars, drag bikes or FAA required aircraft maintenance requirements.

Lead additives like the original tetra-ethyl lead have special chemicals in them (lead bromides and chlorides) to disperse the lead into the air (think birth defects and reduced cognitive function) but newer lead fuels don't have the chlorides in them because of the risk of chlorinated hydrocarbons in the ozone layer. So the lead has a tendency to build up behind rings inside ring lands and force the ring out causing premature wear.

Obviously not good in an engine that requires pressure on top of the piston as well as under the piston to run.

VP racing makes the "streetblaze100" unleaded fuel which is "race gas" but not detrimental to the environment or to your engine. Maybe, if you don't have an aversion to paying $10 a gallon for fuel you could look into the streetblaze100....I personally will continue to run the 93 octance straight out of the pump....

quoting from a YZ80 manual, break in is done with 6% oil... thats 1:6...

they dont mention anything about jetting... I know the YZ80 is water cooled..

But I dont think it would be bad to burn half a gallon with a lot of oil in it first time.. Besides overheating shouldnt be an issue AT ALL.... its break in, ur only going to be feathering the throttle to get the quad to barely move in 2nd and third gear for the first half an hour..

quoting from a YZ80 manual, break in is done with 6% oil... thats 1:6...

they dont mention anything about jetting... I know the YZ80 is water cooled..

But I dont think it would be bad to burn half a gallon with a lot of oil in it first time.. Besides overheating shouldnt be an issue AT ALL.... its break in, ur only going to be feathering the throttle to get the quad to barely move in 2nd and third gear for the first half an hour..

Your math is a little off.

I see no reason why not to run leaded fuel....

Lead helps lubricate all parts of the motor it touches, it also lowers the heat of your engine... very important in an air cooled engine, even more so a 2stroke.
A blaster or any off road quad/ bike is not a street car... maintenance and engine tear down/ rebuilds are a necessity to keeping top performance, only down side I see to running 100ll is the price..... But for how much pump costs now its really not a big deal IMO.... If you have higher comp and need it by all meens run it.

The way that blasters suck down gas the difference between $3 a gallon and like $9 a gallon starts adding up very quickly particularly if it's not needed.

My entire point about leaed fuel is that wears an engine quickly. Much faster then even high octane race fuel on a "hot" engine, particularly if it's not needed.

It also churns elemental lead out into the atmosphere which is really not good particularly if it's not needed.

The common theme (haha) is that unless he paid like $2,000 to get that engine built for drag racing in a particular class, the engine builder telling him to run 110 and nothing else sounds particular suspicious and it may not be needed.

By all means if you need leaded race fuel for a specific use, use it.

The way that blasters suck down gas the difference between $3 a gallon and like $9 a gallon starts adding up very quickly particularly if it's not needed.

My entire point about leaed fuel is that wears an engine quickly. Much faster then even high octane race fuel on a "hot" engine, particularly if it's not needed.

It also churns elemental lead out into the atmosphere which is really not good particularly if it's not needed.

The common theme (haha) is that unless he paid like $2,000 to get that engine built for drag racing in a particular class, the engine builder telling him to run 110 and nothing else sounds particular suspicious and it may not be needed.

By all means if you need leaded race fuel for a specific use, use it.

A Blaster doesn't use much gas. My LT sucks down the gas. My Banshee sucked it down pretty good too, about twice as fast as my old Blaster did.

Well, the points the same... I know how much building it takes to NEED race gas. Depending on the build off course he may NEED race gas but I think I'd responsibly question the builder about the reason for race gas. If you ask what about the build necessitates race fuel and he says, "oh, I cut the head down 3mm and reshaped the dome to raise that CR. Premium fuel WILL burn it up so you have to run 100 octance or higher". Obviously he wasn't just blowing smoke and take a ride to the airport or drag strip and get out the mastercard... otherwise he may have recommended race gas simply to make it sound like he did a LOT of work to the motor.

You can run 93 and just stick with 32:1 no need to change that. Quite a few people on here are 150-160psi range and run 93-94 no problems. I have a +3 stroker trail ported head modification, I'm running 93 and klotz 32:1. That's what my builder suggested, I trust him.

I live in California and premium pump gas is 91 octane ( gotta love those tree huggers). At what compression do you go from 91 octane to 100 oct. I'm guessing around 170ish you need to go to 100 octane. What do you guy think, I only go 91 pump out here and my 240kit will be in the 160psi range easy, maybe 170-180psi after rebuild.

Hotrod, that's a decent rule of thumb but there isn't any particular amount of compression that necessitates jumping to higher octance gas. It all really boils down to the build, that particular engine. Timing modifications, geometry of the squish bands, porting, fuel mixture, and ambient temperature all play into the need for increased octane.

The easiest way to determine if you need race gas is to run the quad and listen for knock...that's what higher octance fuel is all about anyway, getting rid of the detonation.

If you're riding and it sounds like someone put a squirrel with drumsticks into your engine, you probably need to look for some higher grade gasoline.

I live in California and premium pump gas is 91 octane ( gotta love those tree huggers). At what compression do you go from 91 octane to 100 oct. I'm guessing around 170ish you need to go to 100 octane. What do you guy think, I only go 91 pump out here and my 240kit will be in the 160psi range easy, maybe 170-180psi after rebuild.

ive got about 160psi and i just run plain ole 93 pump gas, mr305 told me once his engine is puttin out around 180 and it needs race gas but its a worked CT sonic kit.

I dont want to thread jack here. How long can a engine ping before getting hurt. Can they ping for 30 seconds,1 min, 5 min, 10 min. I ask because I had a intake clamp fail and engine leaned out and cooked the piston. I wasnt sure what I was hearing (now I know it was pinging). I'm not sure when exactly the clamp failed or how long it pinged before I noticed. I dont wanna put pump gas in and 30 seconds after starting I have a expensive paper weight.