Quad not staying running

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
I have an 01 blaster with the 240 big bore kit in it. The quad runs, but you have to give it a lot of gas to keep it running. need to give it full throttle to go anywhere. It never really has too much power even once iot is warm. The plug is brown, and not fouled, so it is not running rich or anything. It feels like the top end is bad, but there is 124 lbs of compression. Is this low for a blaster with a 240 kit in it? Oh yeah, unless i use one of those iridium plug with the really small surface area on the electrode, the gap in the plug it will sort of get a real small stream of metal between the gap like it melted or . It also backfired a couple times while I was riding.

thanks for your help.

Huh?

You are working on what kind of 240? I'm guessing a Vito? Did you mod the carb, if so how? What pipe? If you are getting "metal" to melt in the plug gap, STOP!!!!!!!!!!

That would indicate a wicked lean situation soon followed by motor death.

Give some more info on the mods and details.

A

Yes there is metal in the gap of the plug. As far as i know, the carb is modded to comfensate for the bore. It is vitos 240 kit. I did not do all the work, i just bought it like this. There is a DG pipe and silencer.

OK

What kind of carb and what size jets? What sort of air filter you got? Since compression is good, we can leave the reeds/gaskets alone. Is the TORS removed yet? If not, get rid of it, check the DYI section for instructions.

Let us know.

A

I beleive the carb is stock. There is no wires going to the throttle. It is an aftermarket twist throttle, but there are still wires connected to the carb. Ill trace them and see if they are connected to anything. I have a uni air filter. It is newer, but does have some dirt on it, so ill clean it. I believe the carb is jetted, but dont know for sure. I just bought the quad, and it ran great, until i got on it while riding up the road, then all this started, that is when all this started. It did make some noise from the top end, so i put more oil in the gas and it went away. There was very little if any oil in the gas when i bought the quad, and i rode it like that for like 10 minutes, not knowing there was no oil in the gas until all this happened. Now it seems to not have done any damage, but it runs extremely lean.

Any ideas. Im going to try a colder plug and turn that needle adjuster on top of the carb in, so it richens it up a little. My air screw is 1 1/2 turns out, but i think i will move that in also. I can tell something isnt right, because my idle adjustment screw has to be all the way in for the quad to idle. Im going to take all carb adjustments back to stock and throw in a colder plug and then richen everything up until it runs right or at least better. Do i have the right idea?