Problems kicking when cold.

ks_2k_blast

Feb 19, 2010
When I start my blaster for the first time of the day, it wont kick. You have to push or pull it a bit while in gear. Once it fires a time or 2, it starts first kick for the rest of the day. Any ideas?

could be the clutch oil being thick from the cold, causing the plates to stick together...and once u move it, it frees it up..mabe??

Sounds like low compression in your engine to me. A worn-out top end won't fire with the kicker until it gets warmed up.

Take off your spark plug, screw in a compression gauge, hold the throttle wide open, and kick it until the needle on the comp gauge quits moving. You need at least 120 psi compression. Any reading below that, and its time to investigate further and see why you are low on compression. Might be time for a rebuild.

Sounds like low compression in your engine to me. A worn-out top end won't fire with the kicker until it gets warmed up.

Take off your spark plug, screw in a compression gauge, hold the throttle wide open, and kick it until the needle on the comp gauge quits moving. You need at least 120 psi compression. Any reading below that, and its time to investigate further and see why you are low on compression. Might be time for a rebuild.

x2 on that, mine did that last winter and it was a case of stuck rings giving me very low compression.

I was afraid of that. Even if you pull it then stop before it starts, it starts a few kicks later. The guy I got it from said it was rebuilt 40 hours ago. And I have put about ten on it. Thats really fast to lose a top end tho.

It all depends on how the bike was maintained before you got it. You may tear into the engine and discover that the carb has not been jetted properly, and the engine has run lean. If I were you, do a leakdown test on the engine before you take it apart to see if you've got any air leaks which could have caused the engine to burn up.

I have checked the plug. Came with a used one in it, and looked perfect, put in a new one, did a chop and the new one looked the same. Ill have to find some time to work on it and make a leak down tester.

Yes, a leakdown test will only check for bad gaskets and seals, but its important to find out WHY your engine failed before tearing it down and destroying the 'evidence'.

yea like freak said it sounds like from lettin it sit all winter depending on if u have a heated garage or shed not sure wat u keep it in over the winter but it sound like the clutch oil thickined up from sitting and that is prob causin the plates that are in there to stick my suggestin is to run it and see if u can heat the oil up so it can thin out and it should be aight. and if thats not it deff do a leakdown test and a compression test on it hope u can figure it out my man.

to find the source of the problem so it can be fixed. if it is a crank seal then a new topend wont cover that getting fixed and it will just burn up another top end. but the question is is it hard to kick when cold or do you just kick repeatedly with no luck

if it's in nuetral oil thickness wont matter and oil wont just thicken either. unlike gas it doesnt deteriorate over short time and cold temperatures will only thicken it while cold. If you can turn it over by hand with out to much effort then it probably needs a top end. a leek down test is imperative after assembly and now it may help determine the cause of the top end wearing fast or maybe just a leaky head gasket. It's hard to tell how many hours are on them with out keeping records or installing an hour meter. coulda just been it's time. if you keep riding and the bore is worn excessively the the skirt may shatter.

Ah. I get it now. Thanks guys! And I ment that I could kick it over with no luck, but feels like it has good compression.

if thats the case check for spark and examine the plug to see if its getting gas. if its dry or soaking wet it wont fire.If its hella wet put it in gear with the ignititon or kill switch off and push it around to pump out the exessive gas, then try again. if its dry then you have to examine the carb to make sure its getting and delivering fuel. also check the reeds to make sure they are sealing good. could be anything. . . . let us know what you find

Ah. I get it now. Thanks guys! And I ment that I could kick it over with no luck, but feels like it has good compression.

when mine was crapping out it felt like it had decent compression untill the end when it just finally wouldnt start at all then i could push the kicker with my finger lol