Power issue please help

JBlaster95

Jun 4, 2010
Ok guys my blaster is getting difficult to start 1st time. It will start after about 3 kicks with choke when it used to start with just 1 kick no choke. after it gets started it runs fine but seems to have no power. it flies through 1st 2nd and 3rd then bogs out in 4th also it won't do a wheelie when you hit the throttle in 1st like it used to. I don't know if its clutch or motor or reeds let me know what you think. i dont think its clutch bc the clutch seems to work fine and dosent slip if you park on a hill in gear the motor just turns over.

Well first off we need more info like have you checked the following-Spark Plug, Checked to see if you have a dirty carb, Reeds, Compression, and if you have good strong spark. Clean your carb and replace your plug anyway. Then report back.

blaster isn't at my house right now so ill have to try this stuff this weekend and ill let you know.

judging by your sig, if you haven't rejetted the carb for the mods, the top end is gone

I agree with brondoz28. If you're still running the 220 main with the mods you have, your top end is going, and it won't be long till its fried. You must rejet every time you change the air going in or the air going out.

You might be able to rejet, hone the cylinder, and get new rings if it hasn't got too bad yet.

I was recently having similar problems, I cleane the carb out, put in fresh gas, and disconnected the TORS and now it's running like a top. Actually lifting the front wheels up in first and second which it never has done... Coincidence? You tell me. Check te DIY section for a tutorial on how to remove your TORS if you haven't already.

hey i ride with him. his tors is gone. when he got it the previous guy ran 50:1 and still had a 230 main in. we have since put in a 270 put i think it was too late. but the wierd thing is that when i have heard of peoples top ends going they just bog out all the time unless they r in the powerband. his just like rips through the gears. 1st 2nd 3rd in no time at all then it won't pull at all in 4th.

A compression gauge is your friend here, buddy. Lots of good advice has really already been given. Like everyone's said, check the top end and go from there. Dont forget to hold the throttle WOT when testing compression. You'll need at least 125psi to consider the engine in 'running' condition. Hope that helps!

First off, completely clean the air filter. I use Mineral Spirits (Paint Thinner) to clean mine because its not flammable. You have to re-oil the air filter using a high quality foam air filter oil. I use Klotz foam Filter oil. It works really good. But Bel Ray, Sprectro, and some other companies make foam filter oil. You have to coat it pretty heavy if you want a good running bike. Then you should clean the carb using a carb cleaner or something that doesn't leave a film. Gas will not work because its what is put in your carb that gummed it up in the first place. After those things are clean, check your jetting. For your mods you have, I think it should be around a #300 because its getting colder outside especially where you live. That may be really rich. But its better than being lean. Check your spark and compression. You can buy a compression tester at any local Auto-Parts store. 0-250psi I think is what they come in? It'll probably cost you $15. If your compression is around 125 psi, your fine, if its under that, you may wish to replace the top end. I would recommend buying a Wiseco Top end kit that comes with gaskets, piston, rings, circlips, wrist pin, and bearing. Make sure its the correct size of piston too. I would'nt go with a stock piston because they are cast, which will bust before a forged piston does. Once you hone (bore if needed) the cylinder, make sure the piston ring end gap is lined up with the dowels on the piston. Also check to make sure the piston arrow is pointed towards the exhaust side of the engine. Make sure you put a lot of 2 stroke oil on this so its lube on start up.When it comes time to slide the cylinder on, pinch the rings and slide the cylinder on slowly. once its on, torque down the cylinder base nuts to 18 ft-lbs. Put the head gasket on and tighten the head down to 10ft-lbs. Any more and you will strip out the studs. On first start up do not rev it, let it idle. Do 15 minute intervals of start up, cool down. Repeat 5 times. On first ride, don't rev it really high, give it like 10% throttle and work your way up after each cool down and start up. tighten your head and cylinder if necessary to proper specs. The only reason I am writing all of this is because I am unaware if you know anything about a motor. I'm not calling you stupid. Hope this write up helps. Get back with us if you need anything.

I have the tors removed and a 280 jet which was running good for a good bit of time with a golden brown plug. I had stock reeds in it and replaced them with boysens it ran good for a while then started to get like it is now then wouldn't fire at all and had no compression. the boysens broke so i put stocks back in which had a tiny piece of the top corner missing but it seems small enough to not matter. I need new reeds anyway so i think that will be my first test.

hey i ride with him. his tors is gone. when he got it the previous guy ran 50:1 and still had a 230 main in. we have since put in a 270 put i think it was too late. but the wierd thing is that when i have heard of peoples top ends going they just bog out all the time unless they r in the powerband. his just like rips through the gears. 1st 2nd 3rd in no time at all then it won't pull at all in 4th.

probably wasn't too late ran good for a while after that.

ok. rebuild it. replace reeds with a vforce set up. very good money invested.

Easier said than done when your 15 and don't have any income yet but the reeds will be done asap and i think that will fix the problem, but if not the top end will come over winter.