Plug Chop Question???

Charles hoffman

Live free...Ride hard
Jan 18, 2016
Charles Town WV
I've done a plug chop at WOT and it looked tan to a coffee color which I am assuming is good from reading on here. My question is how to determine if my needle is in the right position? The reason why I'm asking is i almost never go WOT I do a lot of trail riding and find my self in mid throttle a lot. Would I just keep the throttle in mid range position and perform a plug chop

You want to plug chop for WOT. I say that because you never know, you may want to get on it. You'll know when your needle is right when you have a nice clean throttle response, without any hesitation. Of course throttle response also goes with correct pilot, and A/S setting.

You can do a part throttle chop/read. If you don't think you can hold throttle consistent you could screw limiter screw in or even get longer screw. Pull tube off to confirm desired opening, replace.
But as mentioned if throttle response is good, as long as you haven't leaned the needle out, you should be good.

Reactions: Blaaster
∆∆∆ Larry must type faster than me :rolleyes:

Yes you can plug chop at any throttle position you like. It is actually a good idea to plug chop at the throttle position you are at most. Same procedure as a wot plug chop just do it at 1/2 throttle to check your needle. One nice thing is that there is a throttle limiting screw on the thumb throttle. Adjust it to where you feel you ride most and then set it. This way you won't slip and accidently go full throttle and fudge your readings.

If your acceleration is clean through the rpm than most likely your needle is set correct. It won't hurt to check though. Most of the time the stock needle on the Blaster works well with all types of mods etc.. It is when different carb is used that you may have to do a bunch of chops, change needle position, change needles ,in order to get a smooth throttle from bottom to top.

Last edited: