Plastic Scratches

B_blaster.25

Jan 29, 2011
Prince Edward County, Ontario
Ok so what is the best way to fix scratches in plastics? I have used the PC racing plastic renew but mabey its me but i have done it many times and followed the instructions but most of the times it dosent work. Any suggestions would be great!!!

all that plastic renew stuff does is put a thick slime coating on that eventually wears off in days, save money next time and go get some floor polish lay it on thick andlet dry and it does the same exact thing.

only other REAL way to get scratches out is heatgun then sanding them down then bringing them back to gloss working your way up then with some actual compounds and wax

Depends on the level of scratches. You can sand them all down with the common sense method of coarse grit all the way down to super fine grit like 1500 wet, or what I did since I have built RC Planes and have a heat gun is use the heat gun to bring the color back to plastic to make stress marks and small scratches fade away. When I used my heat gun, it basically made everything besides gouges go away. A hot hair dryer at a closer range would probably work as well, but would take longer.

heatgun will remove the factory gloss, i suggest doing the entire piece or it will have some dull spots where heat was applied, youll need a polish to bring the gloss look back after heating