piston wont go in cylinder

whited94

Feb 16, 2011
ok. i got a blaster and ive been trying to put the cylinder back over the rings and piston. i got the gaps lined up with the pins on the piston and tried using my fingers and the compression ring wont go in far enough to fit inside the cylinder. ive rubbed it down with oil and still wont work. and its a standard size. cud my ring be stretched? or wat

could be you don't have the cylinder square to the piston . When I rebuilt my top end I still had the bottom end in the frame and getting the cylinder over the piston took more than a few tries but finally slid over . Did you just have it bored and honed? did they mic the piston? are you using new components?

Most rings have a top and bottom side (or at least wiseco's do) If you look at the ring gap, are the ends of the rings square or angled? If angled, the angle fits against the pin in the ring groove a certain way.

Also, are you doing this by yourself? This is a biotch to do alone. I always have someone else slide down the cylinder while I hold the top ring with both hands. Then repeat with the second ring.

it's the same rings that were on it b4 i tore it apart. and no im not using a ring compressor. and everything is lined up the same way. and i havnt had it bored or anything. just putting it back 2gether and running it until it blows or locks up. its got a thrush washer missing on the crankshaft

are you putting it in dry? or are you using oil on the bore to help slide it together? lube makes all the difference!

A large hose clamp will also work for a compressor. Double check that you have the correct side of ring facing up, and ends are on pins. Pins are offset from each other. Lots of oil and be patient. If you get frustrated, walk away, have a soda, and try again.