Piston Slap?

If it were me I would have the bore and piston measured before I even honed it. If it's (IMHO) more than half of the tolerance spec, I would just get it bored and be done I:I. You're already worried about slap :eek: With fresh bore and new piston you're talking hundreds of hours if maintained properly B)

BTW, it only takes about 60 seconds to hone a cylinder :)

If it were me I would have the bore and piston measured before I even honed it. If it's (IMHO) more than half of the tolerance spec, I would just get it bored and be done I:I. You're already worried about slap :eek: With fresh bore and new piston you're talking hundreds of hours if maintained properly B)

BTW, it only takes about 60 seconds to hone a cylinder :)

Whats the next size i should do if i bore it then?

take it to a shop. they will measure it and tell you if it needs bored what size piston you need and everything. we cant guess without seeing it or measuring. it may need bored one size over or it may need 2 sizes over. or it may need nothing. they only way to know for sure is to have an engine shop measure and tell you

take it to a shop. they will measure it and tell you if it needs bored what size piston you need and everything. we cant guess without seeing it or measuring. it may need bored one size over or it may need 2 sizes over. or it may need nothing. they only way to know for sure is to have an engine shop measure and tell you

Alright, I'll have to look for shops around me.

Check with any "good" auto parts store, not chain stores. They either bore or can direct you to a shop that does. This is after you check your local motorcycle/atv shop. Be sure to take your piston with you too' When they measure both they will be able to tell you amount of clearance between the two.

Check with any "good" auto parts store, not chain stores. They either bore or can direct you to a shop that does. This is after you check your local motorcycle/atv shop. Be sure to take your piston with you too' When they measure both they will be able to tell you amount of clearance between the two.

So Auto Zone is a no go?

I've been googleing machine shops, and not coming up with much. X(

dont you have an atv shop around? they usually do that kind of work there. and its not a machine shop your looking for its an engine or engine building shop

I've looked into him, but i just don't have that money laying around. He's pretty cheap. But I'm 15, I don't have a lot of ways to make money. I'm already half way there for a top end kit, I'll just do it myself.

Don't know what Ken charges to bore, but he's relatively close as far as shipping goes. My little local shop charges $48 a hole, does it in house.

Line bore cylinders?

Is this a new process for boring more that one cylinder at a time.

I was always under the impression that line boring, was a straight line boring system used for multiple (crankshaft/camshaft) journals or bearings.

Line boring is needed to make sure that a crank or shaft does not flex when revolving, resulting in abnormal wear of the bearings or failure of the shaft.

Last edited:
I cant recall if my dad said people do it for banshee's or blasters or for both. I vaguely remember being a week ago. But I thought it was the same thing only named differently cause they do a certain technique to it or something's different with the cutting tools???
I believe line boring just means the cutting edge is just supported better to obtain an even better cut. That and line boring is done vertically as apposed to horizontally. Here's an article/diffinition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boring_(manufacturing)