Piston Slap?

Longview

Mar 16, 2012
Attleboro, Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I've never had it happen to me, or heard it first hand. But while warming up my Blaster today i was noticing when ever i rev'ed it ( I'm not pushing High RPM's when i warm up my bike ) that it will like make a tapping noise, and if i put my hand on the cylinder head i could feel this little tap. It wasn't constantly happening at the same rate, but every now and again.

Is this piston slap, or something different? :(

My blaster made the same type of sound i think and you could feel the tapping and i just left it alone. but i pulled my quad apart to repaint parts and figured id inspect the motor while its out and the rings were shot. The piston moved a lot side to side in the cylinder and i have to have my cylinder bored to the next size because of the score marks so i wouldnt risk it. check it now so you dont have to worry about it later.

My blaster made the same type of sound i think and you could feel the tapping and i just left it alone. but i pulled my quad apart to repaint parts and figured id inspect the motor while its out and the rings were shot. The piston moved a lot side to side in the cylinder and i have to have my cylinder bored to the next size because of the score marks so i wouldnt risk it. check it now so you dont have to worry about it later.

But if my rings were shot, wouldn't i lose all my compression?

you can still get a little slap and have some compression. it takes like 15 minutes to pull the head off and look. itll be weeks to rebuild and more money if it needs bored. you may have caught it early enough you can get away with only a hone and a set of rings compared to a bore new piston new rings and the labor

you can still get a little slap and have some compression. it takes like 15 minutes to pull the head off and look. itll be weeks to rebuild and more money if it needs bored. you may have caught it early enough you can get away with only a hone and a set of rings compared to a bore new piston new rings and the labor

Will i need a new head gasket if i take it off right?

If you pull the pipe off you can inspect the rings and piston by looking up the exhaust port.

What mod have been done and do you know the jet sizes in the carb.

Has the idle changed, recently, and does the tick only happen when you give it the gas?

If you pull the pipe off you can inspect the rings and piston by looking up the exhaust port.

What mod have been done and do you know the jet sizes in the carb.

Has the idle changed, recently, and does the tick only happen when you give it the gas?

I have no mods other than a Powercore2. The carb is stock so I'm assuming the stock 230 main jet. It didn't idle till i got a new throttle cable, which was a few two or three days ago. And yes the tick only happens when i give it gas.

I took everything apart today, there isn't much cylinder damage from what i can see ( Only took the head off ) i'll just have to hone it a bit, but the top of the piston and the exhaust port is like almost black with what i think is just like burnt off carbon right? I think it's stock piston and bore, couldn't really tell the numbers off the top of the piston were dirty. I'm going to grab a manual and rebuild the top end soon. I'll get pictures up soon off how dirty it was.

I've never actually taken off a Cylinder head before, or even gotten pass the crank cases on a bike. So this will be my first rebuild, since i really can't afford to have someone do it for me. So any rebuild kit's you guys recommend, or anything you guys can recommend me will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes if it's in spec for a stock bore after honing, But you need to know the bore diameter before you order so you get the right piston size.
The piston in it should have it's size stamped on top that should tell you the size bore spec to look for to go off of in mm.
Hope this helps info wise.

Yes if it's in spec for a stock bore after honing, But you need to know the bore diameter before you order so you get the right piston size.
The piston in it should have it's size stamped on top that should tell you the size bore spec to look for to go off of in mm.
Hope this helps info wise.

Alright, i'll be sure to look at that when i do the full tare down.

But here are those nasty photos i was talking about.

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

0071.jpg

The #'s next the intake side look to be the piston size? 75.25?
I'm just guessing at that but someone with more knowledge should know for sure. I just have a stock piston in mine and the part # includes the size.

The #'s next the intake side look to be the piston size? 75.25?
I'm just guessing at that but someone with more knowledge should know for sure. I just have a stock piston in mine and the part # includes the size.

I think this is stock. I didn't ask when i picked it up.

But i'm sure that after i clean up the piston i will be able to see what the number's read.

tell me what kind of piston you want and what size it has to be and I'll find the lowest price for ya I got plenty of time online.But if your getting a piston make shure it's forged they last a good bit longer.here you go just click the link also amsoil dominator will make your piston last longer that that yamalube your probably useing ok. also keep in mine going through a dealer will end up being an easy 40-50 dollars more than the piatons in the links ok. also RJ-atv is a very reliable and trustworthy company I just got my 50 over piston for $85 no gaskets without a hitch :D
Yamaha Blaster Wiseco STD Piston Gaskets Bearing Kit | eBay
Yamaha Blaster Wiseco .Std (66.00)mm Piston Kit YFS200 | eBay

Last edited by a moderator: