piston ring question

outlawtoaster

Jun 15, 2008
St. Albans, WV
I rebuilt my topend had it bored to .40 threw in a wiseco followed break in directions rode it for about a total of 10 - 12 hours over a 2 month period well now i have no compression so i take the head off and my rings are seized to the piston and theres semi thick layer of blackish brown laquer type substance on it, no other damage that i can see. i am pre mixing my fuel at 32:1 w/ 93 oct. dose anybody have an idea what would cause the rings to seize (to rich, lean )

im running factory carb, jet and exhaust, boysen carbon reeds uni air filter

im gonna assume you did all the work yourself, right?
during and after the breakin process did you remember to re-torque the head nuts and the base nuts?
an air leak can cause havoc on a top end
from the color of your plug you were probably running a little rich ,but thats not gonna kill a engine
i would be willing to bet that a gasket either failed or leaked causing the problem
or you were doing a really long burnout somewheres without any air flowing against the engine to cool it causing it to overheat
rebuild it again and start again,

how'd the cylinder look? and gouging in the sleeve?
also, are you sure that you installed the rings properly? were the gaps aligned to the dowel markers on the piston?
and i'd do a comprehensive plug test if i were you. sounds like your jetting is a little off. but prob not the cause of the piston issue.