piston gap?

bagds10

Mar 30, 2010
az
i took off my head and saw quite a bit of side to side play with the piston in the cylinder. everything looks good inside, but is there suppose to be so much play?

The piston is tapered inside the bore. Because the top surface of the piston gets the most heat they design the piston to be able to expand the most on the top. Piston size is measured at the bottom end of the piston just above where the skirt ends.

If you think you're having a problem with piston slap or low compression, go ahead and pull the cylinder up and measure your piston size and bore size.

Base gaskets are cheap, new cases because your intake skirt broke off and the crank slammed the chunk against the bottom of the case are not...

Reactions: bagds10
well i have like 3 extra base gaskets and i can get a whole ported cylinder and redesigned head for like 50 bucks. but i pulled my head off to see if it was warped and figured i would inspect everything while i was at it. but ill get a feeler guage and compression testor and check everything. thanks guys for the help

Hook a BF brother up on this ported cylinder and redesigned head for $50 business...

You need a caliper. Harbor freight is running a special right now I saw their digital SAE/metric caliper on sale for $19.99. Cheap compared to some of the tools needed to work on quads. If you're going to pull the cylinder, go ahead and get a caliper so you'll know what size you're dealing with.

i called the guy to see if he still has it. no answer so i left a message. ill let you know. but i was just going to buy the head from him for 25