piston brand

i agree with ididdy i used a namura piston on a bike i had but it was very cheap . id go with wiseco or mitaka :) iv used both and there still just as good. mitaka and wiseco i mean not that namura :)

From what people have said about Namura and Pro X, they are all garbage. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Namuras are cast pistons, and we all know how skirts break off REAL easy on cast pistons, sending all bits and pieces into your bottom end. You'll end up spending more than you originally planned

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/pistons-38382/

Wiseco pistons are definitely the best. Forged Aluminum! You will not be disappointed with a Wiseco

Wiseco provides a higher compression and higher quality to last for like 3 or 4 years if theirs not air leaks and its well taken care of but people say you get what you pay for...
AN WISECO IS WORTH IT...

Namura pistons are absolutely fine. Pistons do not normally fail on their own or from manufacturing defects.

Namura pistons are absolutely fine. Pistons do not normally fail on their own or from manufacturing defects.

But they do fail and when they do I would rather have one large piece in my jug rather than 1040103^5. Don't cheap out on the heart of your rotating assembly.

Wiseco provides a higher compression and higher quality to last for like 3 or 4 years if theirs not air leaks and its well taken care of but people say you get what you pay for...
AN WISECO IS WORTH IT...

not with the compression part but i agree somewhat with this

[/QUOTE]Namura pistons are absolutely fine. Pistons do not normally fail on their own or from manufacturing defects.[/QUOTE]

lol if your into making a faster blaster this is Bigtime BS like 100 times over. iv cracked, broke, damaged and exploaded cast pistons which i think is what namura are. ive also damaged them on the exhaust side which is more stronger then the intake side which WILL brake.

id have to say i have a wisco in my aircooled blaster and its about 2 years old and i bang that thing off the zinnger all day long they love the rpms theres a reason everyones hurd of wisco they are nice

I've never bought anything but forged pistons for performance applications. I would expect the cast brands to be fine as stock replacements but I know with forged pistons ( a couple name brands a forged or custom spec'd Wiseco's repacked/named ). I think there is about $30 price difference from the cheapest after market pistons and the best deals I've seen on Wiseco's. The savings just never seemed worth the risk for me.

I use cast pistons in my KTMs but they seem to be a stronger design.
I actually don't like the forged (Wiseco) in my KTM because you have to be more careful about warming up or you will "cold seize" the forged piston. Been there, done that, slid across the pavement for my impatience. They also seem to draw a bit of power in my opinion. Whether that is due to the clearances needed, or the friction co-efficient or something with the design, but cast works better in my KTM 125 and I have never cracked one.

The Blaster on the other hand, does not have a strong piston design. The windows weaken the skirt, and we have a huge collection of cracked and broken Blaster and DT200 pistons laying around the garage. If you are going to rev it, your are going to need a forged piston. Even the stock Yamaha piston is not a good idea.

Alternatively, you could just change the piston after so many hours. There are some real power advantages to running cast pistons, but a broken skirt will really ruin your day.

181515_10150134020680803_4486083_n.jpg

not with the compression part but i agree somewhat with this

lol if your into making a faster blaster this is Bigtime BS like 100 times over. iv cracked, broke, damaged and exploaded cast pistons which i think is what namura are. ive also damaged them on the exhaust side which is more stronger then the intake side which WILL brake.

id have to say i have a wisco in my aircooled blaster and its about 2 years old and i bang that thing off the zinnger all day long they love the rpms theres a reason everyones hurd of wisco they are nice

So you blame the piston for your problem? Or is it the operator? cast pistons are absolutely fine,if you have 90 bucks to put into a piston by all means do so its your money but some people would rather only spend 50 or 60 bucks on a piston that will do the job just as good. 100 times bullshit??? cmon LOL

namuras are a good piston my bros running one in an rm250 fully built and he runs it on the mx track.

Myself i prefer wiseco.But i been running wiseco in my sbf's before i got into blasters and will always run them imo the quality is second to none.

People trash cast pistons saying theyre fragile and yada yada yada but if that was the case why do they come in them from the factory?If your bikes tuned and up to spec it shouldnt matter if youre running cast or forged.I got 2 years on a vitos cast 72.5 mm piston with still 167psi compression.

My advice would be worry more about your tuning than piston material.

So you blame the piston for your problem? Or is it the operator? cast pistons are absolutely fine,if you have 90 bucks to put into a piston by all means do so its your money but some people would rather only spend 50 or 60 bucks on a piston that will do the job just as good. 100 times bullshit??? cmon LOL

No who cares it could be the operators falt, conditions, faltty bore or piston anything. The fact is sh*t happens. I guess in ur world it dosnt but must be ur perfect operating skills (eye roll:p) I build hard and ride harder. If a piston brakes in one of these motors they have a habit of catching it in the case and shoving it through the case. repairing one of the cases can be alot of work and a ton of $$$$. Nowww forged is provin to be much more forgivin when conditions arnt as perfect as yours. So knowing all that why cheap out 25 bucks to risk this.

Im assuming yamaha built these motprs with cast pistons cuzz they were cheap costs. not because they were the best . After all this im not completly hatin on cast yes there cheap and that helps for keeping in budget but imo and many others forged is best.you can sieze a forged not letting it warm fast enough but I havent done this yet with my ooperating .

We definitely have an operator issue in our stable. We are trying to build for the operator, not the standard usage!

If you are going to carefully operate the Blaster as a sedate 17hp trail machine, the cast piston is just fine. You will likely never have a failure. If you are aiming for 40hp and big time revs, I can smell the JB weld right now!

I do not know for a fact that the Wiseco is any better than any other brand in a Blaster.
I do know Wiseco does not perform well in my KTMs, but that is a different design.
Our problem is shattered skirts, at least a forged piston should hold the skirt in place.

What problems could crop up with forged pistons?
Well, they have a greater expansion ratio so you have to give them more cold clearance which means more piston slap. They get tight in the bore when they get hot, leading to scuffing and sticking. There are a few other debatable issues like requiring better oils and poor heat transfer.

It would be nice to hear examples, especially of success and failures, rather than just theory and rhetoric.

Steve

As far as cast pistons go I would use vertex if I had to. But I trail ride pretty hard and prefer Wiseco forged pro-lite pistons when you can get them for the full price of a cast one with gaskets and all.

I use cast pistons in my KTMs but they seem to be a stronger design.
I actually don't like the forged (Wiseco) in my KTM because you have to be more careful about warming up or you will "cold seize" the forged piston. Been there, done that, slid across the pavement for my impatience. They also seem to draw a bit of power in my opinion. Whether that is due to the clearances needed, or the friction co-efficient or something with the design, but cast works better in my KTM 125 and I have never cracked one.

The Blaster on the other hand, does not have a strong piston design. The windows weaken the skirt, and we have a huge collection of cracked and broken Blaster and DT200 pistons laying around the garage. If you are going to rev it, your are going to need a forged piston. Even the stock Yamaha piston is not a good idea.

Alternatively, you could just change the piston after so many hours. There are some real power advantages to running cast pistons, but a broken skirt will really ruin your day.

181515_10150134020680803_4486083_n.jpg
hell yea that will ruin your day. In my experence though is air leaks and then the rings break off in my butt. Even though I'm super carefull, though I must say that was with a cast vertex piston though.