Piston "BOOST PORT" Modification... Has anybody done one?

joeak47

Apr 21, 2012
Northern NEVADA!
Has anybody done a "boost port" modification to they're piston?

If you have,what were the results?

The boost port modification is the elongated slot near the top of the piston.

It looks like this...
7508-yamaha-banshee-prolite-pistons.jpg

It looks like it would provide more "timed port area" for the incoming air fuel charge.

That's not a new idea but I can honestly say, I've never tried it. My main reason is that I'd be afraid of weakening the skirt or the support under the ring lands.

I've seen prepped drag engines with their pistons done like that but I believe that's one of these deals where drag racers are willing to give up engine reliability for absolute performance but I'm not sure what actual performance it would offer.

I say that because all of the extra "charge" it would be letting in is going to shoot under the piston, not affecting your port timing. The blaster's already have a quite large crankcase so allowing more charge in under the piston may or may not result in a measurable difference in power.

The one advantage I can absolutely see if that the wrist pin bearing will be well lubricated. Considering some other quads are known for wrist pin problems (LT's for example) but blaster's aren't I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is to offset the potential problems involving piston breakage.

Not to discourage, give it a shot and report back results!

i have it done on my drag motor... couldnt tell you if it does a whole lot for power but i think it would help with cooling of the piston as well as oiling the wrist pin bearing.

Yeah SCD I wonder if this would help on the LT's? I've avoided buying the 85-86 LT's around here for that reason. But if this would help I would consider it.

The wrist pin problem on LTs is related to the thrust washers they use on the piston side of the con-rod, the solution is to replace them with billet washers and the problem goes away

i have run Flotek boost ported pistons in a few of our motors with no problems and fyi its a slight gain topend around 1-2hp

well the flotek motor i'm putting together on my cousins blaster has a boost port. when we finish the build i'll let you guys know how it goes