pipes: shearer vs. fmf

Mar 29, 2007
pennsylvania
got portwork and a shearer pipe from angus (Kennedy_power) and finally got out tonight to throw the pipe on my STOCK, UNPORTED jug and head to compare it to my fmf. it sounds flippin sweet, like a 2 stroke should sound, and i love the look of the silencer. this was done with the mods in my sig minus porting and headwork.

not too sure about how well it performs over the fmf tho. it's kinda snowy out so its hard to get traction to tell whats goin on, but i know for certain it has a lot more throttle response than the fmf ever did. it seemed like it was not allowing the motor to rev up as high as the fmf did, which didn't make sense to me. the pipe/silencer combo did sound different tho, so maybe it was reving out as high or higher and i couldn't tell by sound, and maybe it just got there quicker.

the plug can't lie tho, the jet i was running with my fmf and my homemade porting in the warm weather is now just a tad lean with the shearer in the colder weather. maybe it's the temp, but i've actually never had to rejet for the winter before.

i really like how it has a o-ring to seal the pipe to the mounting flange, this the fmf does not have.

one thing i wish the shearer did have tho is a nut welded to the top mounting tab. it's a little thing, but makes it a little easier to mount with the nut welded on. also, it did not have a coupler for the pipe to silencer, and the stocker/fmf is kinda too big around. had to grab 2 pipe clamps to get it tight enough to seal good.

i have some pics on my phone but i'll have to get them up tomorrow at school, i aint uploading on dialup... and if the snow melts i'll try to get a better update, but it's only supposed to get colder. till then, give me some thoughts or questions you might have about the pipe. i do have the ported jug/head sitting in my bedroom as well, and will get it on as soon as i get the chance, school is keepin me busy. Angus said +6 timing is good for 4 hp with the shearer/porting/headwork combo, so if i had messed with timing, i'm sure i could have pulled more out of the pipe with the stock jug. just something for you to consider, i did it with stock timing on both pipes. also stock carb, which i know is limiting it.

And Angus, any chance we could see a dyno of the fmf and shearer on stock jug on the same chart?

i dont think you can compare the two really,the fmf is more suited for a stock motor,the shearer i believe is a drag pipe but they make custom pipes also,i dunno what you have

it's shearer's trail pipe that Angus Kennedy is selling. here's the pics, hope it works

before painting
0107091806.jpg

the shearer is obviously the newly painted black one. you can see the diameters of the pipes are very different at the different stages of the pipe.
0112091621.jpg

0112091621b.jpg

0112091622.jpg

the o-ring
0112091624.jpg

0113091102.jpg

0113091102a.jpg

0113091103.jpg

I will post several pipes against the Shearer; with two pipe tests on each graph. This will be easier to see what pipe comes on stronger and has more usable power. I do have a FMF pipe, LRD, stock, Vito and F7.
I will video tape the runs with the bike and monitor screen at the same time. I just finished my new dyno cell with the latest dynojet 200IX model. I want to run a couple back to back tests with my older 188 model to the new one before posting anything. The new test cell is open to the public. With both the screen and bike in the video this should be good proof to show real power and torque numbers.
Any input is welcome
There is another web site that I recommend; it is atvdragracers.com
Thanks

hell yeah man, i got my shearer w/ angus' trail port buttoned up this week too. haven't had a chance to get out on the trails yet, but hopefully next week i'll be out there.
i've ridden her around the apt complex and up and down the road a couple times and i can def feel a difference in the power band. it's hard to tell cuz i don't wanna rip into her since i live in pretty populated area, but the bottom end def feels much stronger than the f7 i had on there before. the top end still boosts pretty hard too.
i'll put up some vids and get a review up once i get a chance to rip into her better.

so i was lookin at the jug and head last night, taking a bunch of measurements. i figured out the duration for the exhaust and transfers, he changed it a lot from stock. simply looking at the head, it doesn't look like he did much, but we i know he did. especially after talking to him. If you want to know details, pm Kennedy_power, he doesn't want anyone just posting up all his info that he spent countless hours of research and development to figure out. after i get it all bolted on, i will leave another topic with how it runs.

im happy with mine on a good day when mine is runing right pull's the tires off the ground threw all the gears..

No im not from the south. Idk what they call me, i like the seat. what does this have to do with the thread anyway?

whats with the rebel flag seat cover....you live in new hampshire...unless your from the south...people down here would laugh at you and call you a D*mn yankee...happens to me all the time.

And when they do that, you say the following; Hey look buddy the war was like two hundred years ago or some sh*t, and last time I checked, we won.

it doesnt work...lol...i was curious is all...when i was living in CT where i grew up ppl sported the rebel flag, and i could never figure out why. come down here and its like the "war" ended a couple years ago. lol