pipe stinger

roadkill

Apr 7, 2010
winchendon mass
today i was looking at my pipe and i relized the stinger opening is only like 5/8. doesnt this restrict the performance to some degree? i know you need back pressure but with all the intake mods and bigger carbs that are wayy bigger than this opening be pointless if the opening it has to get out is less than half the size?

What I did is cut my toomey end tip that was about an inch long down to a little more than a quarter inch with a ban saw while I had it off cauce I was reconditioning it and thought what the hey.

The stinger holds the sound waves back. They also hold the heat in. In the case of these bikes, a more restrictive stinger reflects more sound giving you more power. This also inscrease the heat your engine has to deal with.

Now the heat will also make sound waves travel faster. In turn your peak power will go up, as the sound waves will arrive at the cylinder faster reqrequiring a higher rpm to have it tuned in right.

If you want to have more power and the same RPM, you need to use a skinnier stinger and a shorter pipe.

To paraphrase G. Jennings the "stinger" is a pressure bleed resistor. It has nothing to do with reflecting sound waves, thats the job of the rear cone. Trust that the pipe manufacturer has the correct size. Actually going bigger could cause a decrease in performance by allowing what could be mixture that could be stuffed back just before port closing to escape.

hah yeah dude, i view sex like a navy seal i gotta get little white lightning in and get the job done as fast as possible without anyone knowing what happened just in out done lol

To paraphrase G. Jennings the "stinger" is a pressure bleed resistor. It has nothing to do with reflecting sound waves, thats the job of the rear cone. Trust that the pipe manufacturer has the correct size. Actually going bigger could cause a decrease in performance by allowing what could be mixture that could be stuffed back just before port closing to escape.

The only argument i see is that the stinger does have something to do with reflecting sound waves. The wider the stinger, the less cone there is to reflect with, this in turn loses pressure that could be used for stuffing the mixture back in.

We are on the same page, but reading it from different angles.

I've got some software that designs pipes if you want to try making a custom pipe, roadkill. I'll be making 1 soon enough. I'm going to set it up for my brother, Nasty Nate. It is going to be a BAD ass pipe.

The 1 i made for my YT was just a prototype and it ran so well I didn't care to build another lol.

The only argument i see is that the stinger does have something to do with reflecting sound waves. The wider the stinger, the less cone there is to reflect with, this in turn loses pressure that could be used for stuffing the mixture back in.

I've got some software that designs pipes if you want to try making a custom pipe, roadkill. I'll be making 1 soon enough. I'm going to set it up for my brother, Nasty Nate. It is going to be a BAD ass pipe.

The 1 i made for my YT was just a prototype and it ran so well I didn't care to build another lol.

that sounds cool i hope it comes out good, i know if i ever designed one id never get around to making it

Well considering that the "mean" reflective point is "about" the middle of the cone plus ya gotta have somewhere for the exhaust to go, in relation to the size of the cone the stinger opening is a very small percentage.

As to stinger dia , IIRC it's about 60% of the head pipe/port dia, which the Fat Bastard is about at least 1/4 in bigger than stock head pipe, rough eyeballing it. I know I opened up the exhaust +/- 1/4" at the flange.

whats the software called if you dont mind me asking?

2 stroke wizard pro 3, expansion chamber design utility, tuned pipe,

2 stroke wizard runs simulations for each pipe designed.

I also have some porting software that helps with port timing, carb sizes, bmep ratings, compression, port area calculation, port map drawing, ect

I've also got several spread sheets for designing pipes. You could say I've collected some things as i have researched.