Pikledbeats Dream Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Finally Ready For Dream Build ... Need Engine Suggestions

Forgot to mention, I am here as a result of engine suggestions, I have bought a chunk of parts, but am always up for additional information. Get on it guys!!! (in a nice way) I want to hear the suggestions.

man thats a nice lineup of parts u have going. and the work u are doing looks first class!!

Hankdiggitty: yea made a few mistakes my first build with the 92 in my avatar pic, I had major engine and a frame failure with that quad before parting it out to build this 03. Anyway that's why I have not done my motor yet, I am waiting to finish chassis and then will start motor. You got a build started here yet?

Onebad442: Thanks for the compliment, I have tried very hard to build quality, I figured with how much time and money I'm putting into this I will be patient and think everything out to do it right. I have been fortunate in having good friends to help with metal fab, powder-coat, etc.

So today I am gonna mod this CFM air box to hang over the top rails like a project blaster box. Anyone who has a CFM knows the mounts suck. Using some Aluminum I should be able to mock up frame hangers for it no prob though. Even with the extra sheet aluminum it'll have cost me half the cost of a project blaster box.

Last edited:

So here is my heel mount setup

First, is of the stock mount points in back of peg.
2j5kgaf.jpg

Second, is brackets that were cut to match up heel guard stock mount holes
9sfklz.jpg

Third, Top bracket which mounts to stock heel mount
24awz06.jpg

Fourth, I had to take some 1" aluminum round bar drill it and cut it to make the spacer to fit to frame, It matches the bar of the heels so does not look to funny. I gotta get different bolts so it doesn't stick out like photo.
2wlwn6h.jpg

Last is the finished mocked up product. The brackets were made out of 3/16 heat treated steel so it is rock solid.
2di11yw.jpg

After cleaning up the brackets, I dropped it all of to be powdercoated along with the rest of accessories. My frame also finally got dropped off today for powdercoat. I have a week out before frame's back. My buddy is doing the rest at his home so I will get all accessories monday.

If you decide you want to do a 240 build I have a motor that needs your billet basket. Its a stock cylinder 240 drag ported by white knuckle racing with head cut for alky, 36mm lectron carb on alky, tyson overide trans, pro design intake with vforce reeds. Ill take $1000 shipped to your door.

This motor has been built by two of the best builders in the 2 stroke industry and has run 5.4sec on 300ft. with my gf riding. Has a ton more in it with ur clutch setup. I had a stock clutch setup on it. Let me know if you decide you want to go bigger.

Yea, man sounds like a sick drag engine but not really my gig. I have a super nice 2003 motor to build up. It has maybe 20hrs tops on it from stock. I really need to just decide what i am gonna do with it. I've picked up the clutch and actually just won an ebay auction for a mikuni flatslide 34mm carb. I have talked to ken about building my motor but also have a really good builder in my area. A drag engine ain't really the route I wanna go though. I would rather have a super reliable trail motor. Good clutch, intake, outtake, mild porting, crank truing. I have started to go back and forth over a 240 kit but that's only if the added weight of widening/lengthening/aftermarket guards heavily affects the motor.

I live at the base of a mountain in North Idaho where I ride every day my Blaster is running or when we don't have three + feet of snow. There are over a hundred miles of ATV trail basically in my backyard but the trails are super rocky/rough. They are steep with switch backs running three thousand feet in elevation. It is rare even in bombing down that you get even a blaster full out in sixth. High fourth and low fifth push the limits especially power drifting around corners with unrecoverable ravines if you make a mistake and trails barely pushing 50 inches wide. I have a friend who's polaris rolled over thirty times down the side of it. But to make it short, I need a bulletproof trail motor just simply because of the riding conditions my blaster is in 90% of the time. I can truthfully say that It might seem as if I'm building a show quad, but in all reality I am planning on riding it as hard as I can on brutal trails, and am building it to handle those conditions.

The plan is end of March beginning of April for body/chassis. Engine who knows? But My engine runs good, i'll definetly be able to drop it in and cruise around if my engine does not get done immediately, though im hoping not to have to do that.

pikled beats,
I have not made a thread for a build, Probably should. havent had much direct advice, Read my fair share. I will get the pics together here shortly. Lend me some advice on starting a thread for doing so if ya would.
Tell me (if you would) about your frame failures and any other major issues you had with your first build. This is my second time going through the bike, so im a little upset with myself over some current set ups, No frame gussets, yada yada yada. everything has been powdercoated and I have been trying to talk myself into fixing it, but just havent had the nerve. Im now looking to do some welding on the frame for placement of rear hydro set up and removal of random mounting tabs for stock stuff, cant even remember what they went to.
Definentally do though. I have been telling myself that I would put up some postings for a while now and never seem to do it. Let me know how to get it done. It will be nice to know someone else going through a quality build at the same time. Especially someone who has been there before.
Thanks much for your time
Hank

pikled beats,
I have not made a thread for a build, Probably should. havent had much direct advice, Read my fair share. I will get the pics together here shortly. Lend me some advice on starting a thread for doing so if ya would.
Tell me (if you would) about your frame failures and any other major issues you had with your first build. This is my second time going through the bike, so im a little upset with myself over some current set ups, No frame gussets, yada yada yada. everything has been powdercoated and I have been trying to talk myself into fixing it, but just havent had the nerve. Im now looking to do some welding on the frame for placement of rear hydro set up and removal of random mounting tabs for stock stuff, cant even remember what they went to.
Definentally do though. I have been telling myself that I would put up some postings for a while now and never seem to do it. Let me know how to get it done. It will be nice to know someone else going through a quality build at the same time. Especially someone who has been there before.
Thanks much for your time
Hank

It took me awhile to decide I would document this build, truthfully it was so I had it because I really don't move at the speed most of these builds are going at. I would recommend it however as it becomes somewhat of an addiction when you feel your building something nice to show it off. When I planned on doing this build I had ideas that I hadn't seen done (though I could probably find em if I trolled all the forums) and wanted to get feedback etc.

You will hear some people on here say that gussets are not needed on a blaster frame (yes I have seen this posted numerous times). But even without going wider/lengthened. I have had a frame failure and seen more than three other blaster frame failures. I bent the sub rail of my first frame which was a 92 from jumping doubles, I also broke off the welded rear fender brace on the chain side. My buddy I ride with also tweeked the subframe rails at the rear of the frame. Regardless I sold that frame to someone on craigslist who had a catastrophic frame failure on his upper A-Arm mounts, he felt it would be easier to weld his subframe to mine as his had not only sheared the a-arm mount but tweaked the frame rail inward. The one suggestion I would give about gussets is cut your own. I had ordered a kit from TPR and although some fit well the majority did not, plus it is not the strongest steel. My welder who is a 20yr. vet and works as a welder for flowmaster, also agreed, hence why we recut the most important (the subframe) gussets out of 1/4 inch heat treated steel, 3/16 for the rest, as this is heavy (as in weight) steel. If you are going to weld to do a hydro setup I would definitely gusset as well. Which brings me to the next point.

I would weigh what it would cost or at least look for an 03-06 frame, it is a stronger frame with improvements over the former 17 years of blaster frames. You also would not have to modify for hydros which are a must. The rear mechanical brake SUCKS period. If this is not possible I would at least get an 03-06 carrier/axle. I have a stock one I am going to sell but they can also be picked up cheap on ebay. The reason for this is that you already have the right mounts on the carrier so only need to modify frame for master cylinder. This is just my opinion but I have found that costs can be cut down by selling your parts. Say you buy an 03-06 carrier for 20 bux on ebay turn around and sell yours for the same. This is how I have kept costs down collecting parts on mine. Even if it's only a little back on stock parts toward aftermarket it adds up.

I have justified being able to do this project as I have kept costs less than it would be to say go into a yamaha showroom and buy a new stock raptor 350.
I understand that most don't have the time and patience this requires, but I have learned through my first build that rushing things does not work in the long run. Although your blaster might be done, there will be things like you've already said, that will eat at you later. This was a big issue for me when deciding to powdercoat or paint. Waiting actually led me to find a way to powdercoat way cheaper than paint. My welder worked with a guy who is starting up a powdercoating business. He offered to do all my small stuff (everything but frame) for the cost of the powdercoat so he could get practice. I was concerned about the quality but that was premature as I went this morning to check progress and it was great. Total cost for the pile of parts in my former pics 45$. My frame sandblasted and powdercoated through a seperate business, 125$. I have seen some crazy prices quoted to people on here and can't believe it. As soon as my buddy gets fully up and running I will be helping him get customers through forums like this and can let you know.

Lastly, it's a lot of who you know, and not being afraid to ask for help. I have learned a lot of what not to do from these forums as well as good ideas I had not thought about, but for the most part I don't know people on these forums in real-life so I've hit the streets in my area talking to local welders, painters, powdercoaters etc. It's been time consuming but as you can see has paid off. When I add up and tell people what it cost to do this build, after being done, most on here are not going to believe it. My number one suggestion would be take your time, it has held true for me that waiting to do things the right way has paid off over rushing.

So, anyway, I will give any advice, although I am still learning as well and can only offer opinions....lol, just look at how wishy-washy I am about my engine, I know though that the bulb will flash soon enough and I'll know what to do. I truly feel however that those building the nicest blasters on here don't wanna share as I have asked them how they did this or that and do not get responses, maybe because I'm a newbie but whatever, newbies to the forum does not mean we can not build sweet blasters too ... as shown.

I am willing to answer anything, and am not stingy with how I've done things as pictured. Looking forward to seeing your build hank, but man that does suck that it's already pc'ed and now you have to weld.

About the thread, there is a great link to setting up pics on the second page of this forum that made it easy for me. Think about the thread name however I wish I could change mine but can not.

Last edited:

So, I was trolling ebay this morning for a rear shock and came across a yfz shock modded for a blaster revalved by gtthunder, oh and polished. I thought of 1bad442's build right away cuz i had recently gone through all 30+ pages of amazed at how immaculate it was especially all the polishing. Anyway, so I clicked on other items for sale and what do you know. Two 442 blue doors for sale. Long story short I knew who's rear shock it was and through blasterforum was able to snag it up. Not only will I have the HLS YFZ fronts, now I have 442's sick dualrate stock yfz rear revalved By GTThunder makers of the HLS fronts. Even sicker I get to see that polish work first hand .... lol. Anyway, thanks again 442 looking forward to gettin that sucker.

So, I'm really starting to think I might go the route of a 240 kit. But my main concern is with reliabilty. I have seen that there is no longer forged pistons made for 240 kits on the blaster only cast and have also heard that the cast pistons cause major damage when they fail. Also, would a stock crank rebuild be strong enough for a 240 kit or am I taking chances? Will the Mikuni 34mm flatslide carb be adequate? and vito's says the the 240 kit has an aggresive trail port to it. Since I am building a trail bike does anyone know performance out of box.

It would be 240 kit, barnett clutch, Vito's 240 clutch kit, stock crank retrued by ken and 34mm mikuni, cfm airbox, DMC pipe, Any advice on this setup would be appreciated.

talk to ken i am almost possitive he has forged pistons for the 240 kits. i might be wrong but pretty sure he does.

Thx will do, Vito's had them outsourced to wiseco and is no longer having them build them so they will not be carrying them any longer even though there site says they are just out of stock. This info came from Vito's directly.

ok, maybe im wrong but i though for sure i seen a post a couple weeks ago and ken said he could get them but like i said i could be wrong lol

^^Right. Wossner still makes the forged, big-bore pistons. I've never run one, but they seem to be well-made. Yes, a cast piston can 'shatter' when it fails, but even a forged piston will fail if the proper tolerances are not maintained between the cylinder and piston. Maintain your engine properly, jet the carburetor correctly, use the proper octane gas for your mods and a good oil (AMSOIL, cough cough), and you won't have reliability problems, even with a BBK.

Ken can tell you best on what to do and not to do with the setup you described. Personally I would choose an exhaust other than a DMC, but you never know...

here is pic of powdercoating back from buddy, no frame yet, also some of this needs reblasted and done again as my idiot friend taped some of the sh*t wrong/mixed up which parts were black and/or red....lol

2uff0h2.jpg

Does anyone know the torque on axle nut and axle nut lock nut for g-force axle

Status
Not open for further replies.