pic posted by mac gotta ??? and need help

frankin blaster

Aug 14, 2012
weirton wv
so awhile ago i was changing out jets idk why my blasty was runing a 220 yea thats not a typo actually a 220 i wanted to run my air box and k&n filter with outerwears plus my aftermarket exhaust so i was told to start at 280 was very rich so went to a 250 still seemed rich so i said heck with it and put it all back to stock back to the 220 lid on k&n filter well its was bogging out alot and i noticed this brown piece around the jet was gone is that my problem floats are good carb was rebuilt and cleaned by the local atv shop and i checked everything (all was in check ) part in red is what im missing...

fc4pdw.jpg

Last edited:
What we are looking at is a slosh baffle which I feel is assembled upside down.

The idea of that plastic bit is to keep some gas around the area of the jets as gas tends to slosh around on corners and bumpy terrain.

Get that 220 out of there, do not ride it, I say again do not ride it.

A #230 should be fitted as stock, If you have any mods which affect the breathing you should up around #280 or #290.

Is the brass washer under the main jet?

If it is rich with a #250, I would suspect a flooding problem or a wrong float level.

Check that fuel cuts off when lifting the float, set the height, set the idle, slip in a #290 and plug chop.

For the umpteenth time this year I feel that I must post the following yet again.

Plug chop.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, roll to a stop.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/plug-chop-how-vid-48226/

This is a good to go plug.

2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.

plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet curcuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

Last edited:
ok thanks my carb doesnt have on at all and boggs like crazy even sitting still would this slosh baffle fix my problem if i bought one?
btw its a 89 model blaster

sitting still it can still slosh the fuel a good bit when you rev it up, so yea go ahead and order the baffle and put it back in, i had probs with mine bogging down almost like it had a rev limiter on it and it was my float height, i checked it a hundred times and thought it was right but wasnt, then finally got it set and runs like a champ now, so jus keep that in mind, even though it was set it still may not be just right.

ok cool thanks ive been puzzled to the max about this going over everything over and over again looked around to see if i left it laying somewhere but couldnt find it so i think the shop forgot it and now its a goner forever ill try this and hopefully it fixes my problem

When was the last time it was leak tested?

What are your mods, pipe ect?

What needle setting and pilot jet, bogging at standstill is a bad sign.

leaktested was january 2013 held 7 psi for ten mins

no mods bone stock

pipe is a cobra i think never really saw this type of exhaust before (full header + baffle)

thought it was weird to be running a 220 main but after reaseach it seemed correct for the year

You got a pic of the Cobra pipe?
no not at the moment..when the guy gave it to me he say it was a cobra exhaust and was painted with red high heat paint so i wire wheeled the whole thing and did it in black i saw no sticker or badge telling me it was for sure a cobra exhaust its not stock tho i know that much and when i look them up i get 4 stroke pipes so idk

That baffle is not your problem, you can run without it no problem. Im not super familiar with the cobras but i have one on my 200x i thought also that they are 4stroke only, are you sure the silencer goes with the pipe? Somebody may have just thrown a random silencer on it.

That baffle is not your problem, you can run without it no problem. Im not super familiar with the cobras but i have one on my 200x i thought also that they are 4stroke only, are you sure the silencer goes with the pipe? Somebody may have just thrown a random silencer on it.

see im not positive on the pipe i know its not stock and i think there in lies some of my problem on this issue ive been dealing with plus im missing the slosh baffle in my carb

Last edited: