phillips case bolt removal!

blaster0187

Jan 18, 2011
mulberry fl
How is the best way to remove the phillips case bolts without damage
I'm. Havn trouble and don't want to damge the fragile phillips head
Is there a tq spec for installation?

The problem is that over time the steel screw and alum case react with each other and it's almost like they're loctited in. X-2 on those impact drivers you hit with hammer. Might also add a little heat, and/or smack it using pin/drift punch. When you get to the point you have to use a cold chisel, you'll understand why the cover bolts get replaced with allen screws. I just wish they made them with 8mm heads like lots of street bikes have. Then you wouldn't be picking dirt out of the screw head.

the best way ive found to get them out is get a screw driver that fits perfect, then hit the end of it with a hammer, not too hard you dont want to damage the threads, just nice firm hits and theyll break loose, then put allen bolts back in it.

I used this tool i dont remember what it is called but here is a pic.. I just found the right size phillips bit, and then i made a box out of 2x4 that the case fit nice in snug in.

Put the 2x4 box on the ground with the case in it then get this tool in place and put ALL of your WEIGHT right over it and give it a BUMP!!! It will take less then 1/4 turn to get it LOOSE.

1223345_zps384091da.jpg