PA - Just bought a Yamaha Blaster, 1996

mugRBG

Nov 2, 2009
Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself to the Blaster forums. I:I My name is Loren, 24, live in Pennsylvania. Ever since I was 15-16 there was four of five of us that would screw around with Blasters....we'd even swap on rides occasionally just for the hell of it.

Anyway, I used to have a white/red Blaster (4-5 years ago) and just purchased another one from a private owner.

I believe the guy had a problem with the crank or something and decided to swap with a 1998 from a shop that had been rebuilt (guy was asking 600 took 450), and he had the cylinder from the original bored with a new piston and everything put in...equivalent of 220cc is what he had told me, who knows. I'm a pretty big dude, and nothing has changed with Blasters, quad definitely has punch. Looks fairly stock, exception(s) being tires/rims (got the original tires/yellow rims w/sale), injector block off, and a DG pipe/silencer....didn't even have time yet to pop the airbox lid and see whether there is a stock filter or an aftermarket (k&n, uni, etc.) on it.

------

I had a couple questions since I've forgotten some things, so excuse mylack of patience with looking through all the threads for things that have surely been answered.

1. Does anyone here use Bel-Ray Gear Saver? What weight? Seeing as how it is November and I'll surely be ripping around some throughout the winter, I was just wondering on this....kind of hard to see through the viewer on the right side of the case, should oil be to the top of that? Says 650ML....don't have a ratio cup yet.

2. Does anyone here use Bel-Ray s2 as their premix? It is my preferred pre-mix and I can't remember too much on what the guy said about this....buddy was a polaris tech and wasn't too particular on the mix. Bel-Ray site/catalog recommends 40:1 fo 125cc or bigger 2-stroke I believe, what say the forum? Is it easier to mix by the gallon, 5 gallon? Got a bunch of gas containers but will buy a new one and label it for my new toy. I:I

3. How much air do you "folks" :D generally run in rear tires? Felt like I could feel it low and I could push in a bit on the tires fairly easy....and like I said I'm a big guy. Back left lip on the one rim is bent a bit so I don't know if that will matter at all....tires don't look "brand new" but I imagine they'll be good to go for a few months of riding. Easier to maybe just buy slim (does it work?) for a safe bet....or one of those types of things to inflate tires.

4. Back brakes are a biotch, surprise, surprise. X( :( 8-| Actually a half-dollar sized (if not bigger) piece, imagine it is the inner pad, that feels pretty hard and doesn't seem to want to even stay in the indented spot for it...

1 and 2 are most important. I want to be sure because I read some of the threads on running to rich/lean, and I'm not comfortable enough with that stuff having not done much with quads for a few years....I don't want to risk anything with the engine, and don't know if people change their mix depending on cold/snowy weather.

lots of guys run bel ray 75w or 80w i belive. i run type F tranny fluid myself and its great, cheap enough to change often but gives great results. any quality 2 stroke oil will be fine, personally i run klotz benol @ 32-1. old back brakes are aa complete waste of time and money, i just yesterday finally got rear hydros on mine.i run about 3lbs in the rear and 7.5lbs in my tires.

lots of guys run bel ray 75w or 80w i belive. i run type F tranny fluid myself and its great, cheap enough to change often but gives great results. any quality 2 stroke oil will be fine, personally i run klotz benol @ 32-1. old back brakes are aa complete waste of time and money, i just yesterday finally got rear hydros on mine.i run about 3lbs in the rear and 7.5lbs in my tires.

Thanks for the reply. Is Klotz Benol synthetic?

I'm pretty pumped....probably going to take it out and rip around a bit now....did pop the seat off and unscrew the airbox lid, looks like a replacement air filter on there (possibly with an outercover of some sort...it is blue and I can't see the name on it). Blaster back breaks will be the death of me. :p

Didn't want to take the filter off because I don't have any cleaner or oil to put on it right now. I actually downloaded the .pdf of the Blaster manual, on this site, and it looked to me as though the manual called for 10w30 in just about everything.....on the chain for lube, in the crankcase, on the filter....I didn't even know stock filters were oiled to be honest (have never used them).

klotz benol is a pure castor oil, very good but it may seperate in cold weather, the shop i buy my stuff at races on the ice and uses benol still. they say just shake teh machine before you ride. there is nothing stopping you from putting hydros on the back. just takes some money and time. oh yeah, where in pa u at?

Yeah it has got the outerwear and a K&N underneath....gonna have to get some cleaner/oil and pick up an extra plug (going with D8ES because the manual says it) just so I'll never not be able to ride because a plug goes on me. B)

klotz benol is a pure castor oil, very good but it may seperate in cold weather, the shop i buy my stuff at races on the ice and uses benol still. they say just shake teh machine before you ride. there is nothing stopping you from putting hydros on the back. just takes some money and time. oh yeah, where in pa u at?

Well, just called A&A (it's sunday, grrrr) and they basically have nothing other than Valvoline. There is a Polaris shop around my way I'll have to call now and see if it will be open for a few hours today (doubtful).

True on the hydros, hopefully I'll get on it with this Blaster.

I live in NEPA.

Welcome man! I bought my first blaster (first quad ever to be exact) in March. Rode 2 stroke dirtbikese prior. I have gotten a lot of great info and advise!

Welcome man! I bought my first blaster (first quad ever to be exact) in March. Rode 2 stroke dirtbikese prior. I have gotten a lot of great info and advise!

Thanks for the welcome. I ended up grabbing a new K&N filter along with the recharge kit for my old one (and the new filter, alternate I:I )....forgot the spark plug. X(

I had to stop in like 10 places before I could find something I'd be willing to mix in my gas....I don't know if anyone else goes crazy cheap and puts that 2-cycle crap for lawnmowers, chainsaws, and so on in their Blaster, but some guy was pushing it on me at AdvaneAutoParts and I passed. Ended up with Castrol 2T 2-STROKE oil...says PREMIX/INJECTOR right in the bottom right corner.

Thanks for the welcome. I ended up grabbing a new K&N filter along with the recharge kit for my old one (and the new filter, alternate I:I )....forgot the spark plug. X(

I had to stop in like 10 places before I could find something I'd be willing to mix in my gas....I don't know if anyone else goes crazy cheap and puts that 2-cycle crap for lawnmowers, chainsaws, and so on in their Blaster, but some guy was pushing it on me at AdvaneAutoParts and I passed. Ended up with Castrol 2T 2-STROKE oil...says PREMIX/INJECTOR right in the bottom right corner.

i think thats the same stuff i use. did u get it at autozone?

i think thats the same stuff i use. did u get it at autozone?

Nope, some beat down service/garage station. I went to NAPA today and they only had tiny bottles of amsoil that were 100:1 ratio (on the front)...didn't get any because I still haven't even run through the gas that was in it when I bought it and I still have the Castrol.

I did get some oil for the crankcase but I have to find out if it is the right stuff...everyone seems to talk about all the different oils they use and nobody seems to ever say they use 10W30 (which is what the downloaded manual from this site says for the Blaster). I'm beginning to realize that this area sucks for my 2-stroke needs....

I ended up buying 1 quart of 10W40 AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for 11 dollars but I'm not going to put it in until I find out if that is cool or not. On the back it says AMSOIL advanced synthetic motorcycle oil - 4 stroke engines and motorcycle transmissions, both two and four stroke. Also says wet clutch compatible and no friction modifiers.

I wouldnt use four stroke motorcycle oil in your gear case especially full synthetic it will make your clutch slip. I just use pension 10w30 what the manual calles for. But I change my gear oil after every ride on all my bikes. Cheap easy maintnance for your toys.

As for the amsoil 100:1 I got it with one of my bikes and tried it but never at 100:1. First I tried it at 50:1 smoked alot and fouled plugs. Tried it ar 70:1 little better. But thats when I gave up. I just cant image running any of my bikes at 100:1. So I just went to my old faithful Belray MC1 at 32:1 and in my CR250 I havent fouled a plug and smokes just right IMO Iwas riding tight ass trail and not a problem.