Ordered a 44t rear sprocket...

Feb 8, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Well, I ordered me a 44t rear sprocket for the Blaster to help get lower gearing to lug my butt around the dunes. With the stock set-up I am always topped out in 3rd or lugging halfway through 4th. I hope this helps as it is @10% lower gearing (my goal is to gear so that 6th gear is useable on the flats). I may have to go to a 12t front to make 6th useable- but I do not know. Will this require any changes to my Blaster- chain or skidplate? I may go back to stock gearing if when I get my new engine it will top out in 6th gear. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Adding 4 teeth your going have to also add a few links to your chain. As far as playn in the sand I don't know, I don't have a sand box local. Damn it

Well, I ordered me a 44t rear sprocket for the Blaster to help get lower gearing to lug my butt around the dunes. With the stock set-up I am always topped out in 3rd or lugging halfway through 4th. I hope this helps as it is @10% lower gearing (my goal is to gear so that 6th gear is useable on the flats). I may have to go to a 12t front to make 6th useable- but I do not know. Will this require any changes to my Blaster- chain or skidplate? I may go back to stock gearing if when I get my new engine it will top out in 6th gear. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

why so you start in 3rd instead of 1st....
your ganna lose speed shifting that much

well on the big dunes I do not have the power to turn my tires towards the top-- even in first gear w/o abusing the clutch. So, I figure why not gear down so that I gain a little from the wider spaced gears that I do not have the power to turn in the sand.

What rear tires are you running!!???
I run 13/41 and can rock in every gear! with my 20-11-8 Sand Stars.

The last time at the dunes I had 20-11-8 Razors and I am going to put on a set of haulers this time (these are a set of worn down ones from my friends Banshee and should not be too agreesive in the paddle).

The problem that I have is that some of these dunes are long and step and I need to have more torque to keep the wheel speed up. I know that a 10% reduction in gearing isn't much but I hope it is enough. I am less interested in the top speed of my quad than I am the ability to keep forward motion. Hopefully, by being able to use the wider spaced gears more I will be able to not shift as much as I will have more of a spread in the gear for the climb. Also by gearing down a bit I should be able to hit the dune with a slightly higher speed. I know that a Blaster can climg the dunes- I see it all of the time. My friends daughter does it on heres all day long. However, she weighs 110#s and has her stock silencer gutted and the carb re-jetted. But when I ride her Blaster (which suprisingly has much better response and power when compared to a stock one) I still run into the same problem. BTW, she also has paddles. Also if I have to shift down then second and God forbid first will lug a little deeper than stock gearing. I mean what am I loosing by gearing down if my Blaster will not pull fifth or sixth in the dunes as it now sits.

You also have a ported big bore and probably do not weigh 280#s. :D

you have some pretty good power are you staying in the power band???
if your trying to baby it up a hill its not ganna happen no matter what..
with the kind of gearing your talking about youll be in 5th instead of 3rd and so on.
its not ganna fix your problem its just ganna change what gear your in.
cause if you go too slow up a sand hill then youll just start digging trenches.
maybe you should get some good paddles and then do it before you put on some crazy gearing.
cause 1st gear on a stock blaster is usless with stock gearing..