optimal wheel spacings

NWC-Lucas

Aug 13, 2013
I need to widen my four wheeler as I am too top heavy around corners. I am just using wheel spacers to do this so I do not have to buy extended tie rods, control arm widening kit, suspension tower widening kit, extended brake hose, etc. what I need to know is there the outside of the front tires should line up compared to the rear tires. for example should the outside of the front tires line up with the outside of the rear tires? or line up with the middle of rear tires? or the inside of the fronts line up with the inside of the rear tires? my current spacing is 41in from outside edge to outside edge on my rear tires, and 38.5 inched on my fronts. right now the outside edge of my front tired line up with about the middle of my rears. I plan on pushing my blaster to the max so I want the best option possible using wheel spacers.

Just buy a 4" kit for the rear, and a 5" kit for the front

Also, buying a kit has everything you need to switch out arms, brake lines, tierods

im trying to keep this on a budget so a full kit would be very expensive compared to just spacers. so what ur saying is just try and get the edges of the fronts to line up close to the edges of the rear?

A little closer yes.

The outside on mine are lined up almost perfectly.

They dont need to be, you could buy two 5" kits front and back and they would work just fine.

i have quite a bit of experience on this subject with my raptor. A-arms and an axle is the best way to widen an atv. period. flipping the front wheels will give you more width but at a cost, bumpsteer. bumpsteer sucks and since you are looking for width for turns i can only assume you are wanting to rail turns. added bumpsteer in turns is something you dont want, especailly at high speeds. spacers are probably the best option on a budget, but agian they add bumpsteer, just like an offset wheel spacing. i would advise you to get a set off wheel spacers with a lifetime warranty and are safe to be jumped with. ive seen 2 sets of spacers crack whilst trail riding. they are not safe, i dont care what anyone says. not sure if you are trail riding or racing tt but a lowering kit will help with the top heaviness. again dont cheap out, get one with a lifetime warranty and i would advise NO JUMPING with a lowering kit. DO NOT BUY EXTENDING STUDS. think of all the leverage that is being created by them. i firmly believe they are the worst invention pertaining to atv's and they should be pulled off the market asap. in regards to how wide the rear should be vs how wide the front should be, ive found that the front end being 1/2"-1" wider than the rear is optimal for handing. so if your back is 49.5" wide your front should be 50-50.5" wide. if the front is 2" wider than the rear it makes for very "twitchy" handling that is unpredictable in the turns.

so to sum up my rambling, buy a-arms and an axle to correctly add width. spacers are the next best choice. whatever you do, do not buy extended studs if you cherish life. make the front end an inch wider than the rear.

I agree completely with the post above me. Cheap will be a weak, dangerous solution to the problem and you want the front just a touch wider. I agree with EVERYTHING! What are you wanting to do with this thing?

ive ran the hell outta my extended stud spacers, ive jumped and rode like hell, no problems at all, yea if they crack and break i could get hurt blah blah blah but whats riding? you have more risk dieing in a car wreck then you do with stud spacers....

I'm glad to hear those studs haven't broke yet and I hope they never do. But when they do it won't be a matter of "if" you get hurt, it will be how severely you "are" hurt. Think about it Buddy. Wrecking is a part of riding this is true. But I myself would rather be safe than sorry and not poke at injury or maybe death...

I'm glad to hear those studs haven't broke yet and I hope they never do. But when they do it won't be a matter of "if" you get hurt, it will be how severely you "are" hurt. Think about it Buddy. Wrecking is a part of riding this is true. But I myself would rather be safe than sorry and not poke at injury or maybe death...

well if they break and i get hurt, ill be suing lol, maybe get some cash!! I:I

Do yourself a favor and inspect them periodically. I found cracks in almost all mine. Company offered me another set but not the refund I asked for.

If you do allot of trail riding, wider is not always better. Spacers are then the way to go on a budget. I have run against some quads with massive spreads and they have problems getting through the woods and rock sections. But if you plan to ride tracks and jumping is involved, save your money and do it right as suggested by others.