ok to plug chop?!!!???

2strokelivin

Nov 15, 2014
tennessee
Ok so I just threw on a dmc alien full exhaust- vforce 4 reeds- everything else is stock
I'm at 800 ft above sea level and it is roughly 50 degrees outside and I'm jetted at 320 with the needle on the bottom clip ... am I safe enough to do a plug chop or should I jet higher say like a 350 or 360? I don't want to melt a piston if I can avoid it

Ya.
What do you have for air cleaner? Lid? Snorkle?
If everything else IS really stock (filter,lid,snorkle) it might hardley run. But is far safer to start rich. Plugs are cheaper than pistons.

The lid and snorkel are still on, it runs fine . I cranked it and it fires up and idles fine I did not let it warm up bc I wanted to check with the master minds here first

I would say yes, plug chop away. (don't send me hate mail though if you blow her up) lol jk.. Post some pics of the plug when you do the chop.. Btw you have a good clean filter right? leak tested already?

A #320 should be a good starting point for the plug chop.

I use a #320, with a DMC at the same altitude/temp with the needle on the bottom slot, but the air filter is directly on the carb throat, so you may be a little rich.

You need to plug chop to confirm

As the weather warms up you may find that you can safely lift the clip up one notch.

It is possible to plug chop the needle as well, at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

Last edited:
I git a little Nervous bc I was throwing some white smoke

This ^^^ may not be good. If it was used and had bunch of oil in silencer, maybe. Check your trans oil level.
Unless itonly did it for a very short period, I would highly suggest a leakdown test, as white smoke is sign of burning trans oil, caused by leaking seal, collar, case mating seal, crack/break in case.

JMHO. your results may, and will vary.

It only threw smoke for a sec. I decided to let it warm up and i went to make a run and it bogged down and almost died- barely got it back to the house- pulled the carb dropped 2 sizes and now she runs like a beast- i chopped and am prI baby going back to a 310 to be safe