Oil Pump Failure?

biggercb

Jun 16, 2011
Girlfriend bought her son a blaster. The kids uncle took it for a spin down a dirt road and pushed it back saying it wouldn't start. Compression test revealed 30psi. I pulled the head and jug off, and sure enough, gonna need a bore and piston.

I plan on scrapping the oil injection system and showing her and her son how to run premix. When I pulled the cover off the oil pump to see what I was getting into, I noticed it looked like it was leaking. Is this a sign of a failed oil pump?

I've never had a blaster before, but I have had several two stroke dirt bikes over the years. Do you guys have any general hints or tips you can pass on?

The oil pumps have a near zero failure rate. The risky part on the oil pump is the delrin gear located inside the clutch cover which can harden with age and eventually come apart.

If you don't mind premixing, oil pump deletion is a very inexpensive insurance policy. You know exactly how much oil the engine is getting if you put it in the gas can yourself.

Pre-mixing is the safest and most effective way to protect your engine . Once it's all back together it is very important you DON'T use injector oil as premix oil , they are different .
I suggest Maxima Super M synthetic 2 stroke oil .

ive never heard of a pump failing, chances are the engine failure is due to something else like air leaks or lean jetting.

the leak by the pump is probably the oil seal that is a bit perished. if you go premix, just make sure the kid and lady understand EXACTLY what they must do.

its best to disengage the gear behind the engine cover. i removed the whole pump and fashioned a alluminium plate to block off the hole. remember to also plug the feeder hole into the carb, or else it will suck air there.

yip the white gear. you could melt the pipe together but that would be a bit of a hospital job. look for a nice little rubber/plastic pipe plug or something, i once used solder to close the hole off.

I may still have the parts to my oil pump if you want...may. Let me know.

I talked to a dealer tech and he said that every blaster that he's ever seen with a blown top end was pre-mixing!! If you know what you're doing, it's safe, but the injection system is definitely idiot-proof!! Using good gas and the exact proper ratio is very important....don't just guesstimate the amounts!!

The most important part of ditching the injection system is blocking off the nipple on the carb that was fed by the injection system. My block-off kit came with a vacuum cap and a tiny zip tie, you could find the same at the hardware store for about a $0.25 total.

Where was it leaking at the pump, around where the pump seals? If so, replace the seal or use rtv to seal it up. a block off will probably seal better than the actual pump, and they're cheap.

I know you guys are saying the oil injection never fails...but that is what this looks like. It looks like it wasn't getting oil. The premix tank was half full. Oh well, I get the jug back this week and I ordered a block-off kit while I was at the shop dropping off the cylinder.

Thanks for all the replies.

Remember to bump up that main jet once you go premix. The oil takes the place of some of the gasoline. Totally stock other than oil block off should be at about a 240-250 main. If you have a pipe and take your airbox lid off, you should be at a 290-300.

He is running an FMF fatty with an FMF Q exhaust...I always check the color of the plugs after a rebuild, but thanks for the baseline to begin with...

I know you guys are saying the oil injection never fails...but that is what this looks like. It looks like it wasn't getting oil. The premix tank was half full. Oh well, I get the jug back this week and I ordered a block-off kit while I was at the shop dropping off the cylinder.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm just telling you what I've been told by dealer mechanics. Personally, I don't like the oil injection and have removed it, but I'd like to think that I kinda know what I'm doing a little bit, haha. For a lot of people, the injection system is the way to go.

I keep it on all snowmobiles....but those are kinda a different animal.

keep it. get a new injection sytem or something. i bought my 2003 blaster brand new at the dealer in 2003. havent had no problem with the oil injection.plus its alot easier than premxiing. mine came with out the injection system. thats my 2 cents