Oil level

Antrax

Sep 23, 2012
Birmingham uk
Hi guys, so I drained my old oil and filled up with new oil to inbetween the two lines. Thing I'm concerned about is when I started it up the oil level went to nothing. Is this normal? Should it rise back up when switched off?

If it doesn't show back up you have a problem. I don't think I can see thru my glas, and never thought to look when it was running no matter what, lol

Its going to take awhile for the oil to come back into view after the engine has been run. When the engine is running, oil is caught by the gears in the primary drive and tranny and slung about. Unlike on an air compressor pump, it can be a couple hours before it all drains back into view in the sight glass.

What I do on my Blasty is check the level before I start the engine in the morning, be sure its full, go ride, and check it again the next morning. As long as your crankcase is airtight, countershaft seal is still good, and you don't have any other tranny oil leaks, you won't lose any oil even if you don't see it in the sight glass right away.

You should have put 650ml of oil in the tranny, no more, no less.

That little sight glass can be very confusing as when you fill it it will tell you you have enough.

When you ride a lot of that oil will be taken over to another place in the tranny and the glass will show empty, maybe for a few hours.

Some of it will never come back and may fool you to put more in oil resulting in over filling, which can cause pressurisation problems due to expansion.

The best way to avoid the wrong amount of oil in the tranny is to completly drain the oil while the oil is hot, and measure 650ml of fresh oil and then fill with it.

Cylinderporting002-1-1.jpg

Bottom left, little glass.