Oil cap on top of motor/trans ?

centipede3001

Nov 3, 2010
I have a 1990 yamaha blaster its a 2 stroke so i didnt think that the motor took any oil but there is a little blakc oil cap on top of the trans/motor and when you unscrew it off you can see into like a gear is there supposed to be fluid in there?

Yeah there is. Also a site glass at the bottom on the clutch ccover towards the back of the engine. Fill halfway up the glass with motor oil. Search to find what kind you would like to use but I just use 10w30

dont use 10w30 this is for the crankcase of the engine and it has a wet clutch 10w30 wont let the clutch operate right... use yamalube or use the better stuff i use belray 80w go to your local dealer and ask them what they recommend it will save you bottom end in the long run.

so is that the only place to put oil in the motor at ? you just mix the gas right? also 80w is like gear oil right ?

yes thats the only other place you need to put oil... does your blaster have an oil block off? and yes its gear oil but thats what you are putting the oil in for its to lubricate the entire transmission it has nothing to do with lubricating the topend of the engine. if you premix your gas make sure you have an oil block off or do the diy block off so that the oil pump gear doesnt end up in ur engine. also be sure to mix your gas at around 32:1 thats the sweet spot.

it still has the setup for the tank with the hose into the motor and all he siad he always added a little oil to the tank and it uses a little oil from the oil tank

yeah then if you want to leave the oil injection just fill that tank with 2 stroke oil, and dont premix. if you want to get rid of that so you dont have to worry about it breaking and frying your engine buy the $30 block off kit or follow the diy block off for like $3 unless you need a new gasket for like $10. After a block off you will then premix and wont have to worry about the oil injection failing.

I have a 1990 yamaha blaster its a 2 stroke so i didnt think that the motor took any oil but there is a little blakc oil cap on top of the trans/motor and when you unscrew it off you can see into like a gear is there supposed to be fluid in there?

Please step away from the blaster!

I see ya got your answer, but for future reference you can go here> http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-...ything-you-need-know-most-useful-posts-28478/

here> http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/my-general-troubleshooting-maintenance-30347/

and once again if you have gay tendencies please go here> http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/friday-nite-eye-candy-33157/

ok before you get wrong info, you can use 10w30 motor oil in the tranny. but it cant have any friction modifiers, you can also use atf type f (most likely the cheapest and better choice) or you can spend some money on the belray (this is not gear oil like for a car, you do not want to use gear oil for a car, way to thick)

ok before you get wrong info, you can use 10w30 motor oil in the tranny. but it cant have any friction modifiers, you can also use atf type f (most likely the cheapest and better choice) or you can spend some money on the belray (this is not gear oil like for a car, you do not want to use gear oil for a car, way to thick)

x2

--------------------------

The reason i told him not to use 10w30 is thats what the guy was running before i bought the blaster from him. he gave me the rest of his supply like 2 bottles it didnt have friction modifiers i did a oil change with it the day i got it. The clutch was slipping every time id get on it to hard. I switched to belray 80w and it went away so i dont trust the 10w30 i was just offering my opinion on it not hard facts

The reason i told him not to use 10w30 is thats what the guy was running before i bought the blaster from him. he gave me the rest of his supply like 2 bottles it didnt have friction modifiers i did a oil change with it the day i got it. The clutch was slipping every time id get on it to hard. I switched to belray 80w and it went away so i dont trust the 10w30 i was just offering my opinion on it not hard facts

Had same problem with mine so now its sitting in the garage waiting for clutches