Oh Shyt!!! Wtf???

8896mayhem

Apr 5, 2009
NW Ohio
Hear a slap in the motor yesterday, drained the oil and found METAL, here is what I found? any ideas what may cause this and can i just remove it and ride or replace the whole clutch and gear assembly.

Any advice?

Mayhem

if your refering to that bent over piece, i belive thats just a lock for that nut. you should be looking elseware if you found metal in the trany oil... how much metal?

I don't really see what your talking about. When you drain the trans if its metal like metallic powder, then your fine. That would be normal wear in small amounts.

I dont think it is normal, there were chunks in the oil, the exact color and consistency of this washer it is not a factory bend it is ripped. Sorry the pic isnt any better. Not sure what to do...... thought about breaking it off and rolling with it, but is this balnced in anyway?

Mayhem

Dont break it off that acts as a lock for that nut. Someone probably broke the original lock so they cut and tore a new washer and hammered it down to act like a lock.

Ya, don't take it off its like that to stop the nut form spinning off, and that is the original washer but your only supposed to use them once, so a chunk might have broke off. Do you still have the oil you drained from it? If you do get a pic of it for us to see.

Just go to lowes and bring it and find a similar washer. They are nothing special just thin enough to bend and you shouldnt bend one more then a few times if you have to.

Ok....thanks for the input...Here is my idea..... I am stealing the wifes 96 blaster and gonna rip its ass for a while. In the meantime I am gonna do a frame off on my 88.

Being new and all to this forum and blasters, I thought maybe I would let you guys tell me what to do as far as upgrades. Keep it midline pricing and reliable, as my kids ride with me alot.

So...Where do I start? I will strip and blast the frame this week and more than likely have it painted by end of the weekend. That is the cheap and easy part. I like my Douglass wheels but not real shot up about the stock swing and a arms. Lets start there.

Suggestions....may move this to a different thread.

Thanks for the help!

Mayhem

Hey welcome, and use the search bar to find answers before you post..dont take that the wrong way but, it is much easier and faster.

Gotcha! Thanks....... I looked around but couldn't find anything pertaining to that gear. I may have searched wrong, because I wasn't sure of the exact name of it.

Off to start the frame off.... Have a good day and thanks again for you help!

Mayhem

someone should have listened to what i said in the first place and waited for a bunch of others to make you belive. think i would lie?

if your not on a budget, look into some extended a-arms, they come in several sizes +5,+4+3+2 etc
If those dont fit your price range, look into the diamond j kit.
rear swing arms are a bit difficult, the swingarm shops have good prices, but they do break 2 members on here have broken them.
and for another brand name one there very expensive.
before doing the swing arm i would defiantly invest in new shocks all around.
then you basically done the chassis, on to motor work, or make it look nice work haha

i say go with a +3 swinger, i put it on mine, easy actually just have to put the chain guard and tighten all the bolts down, you will need a new brake cable that is f*ckin 40 bux shipped, to me it was, i have all stock shox, runs great, but do need to upgrade shocks,lol, go with some +2 a arms, i don't think you need over this, but this is what i would do and i ride tight trails, so i am not going too nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: