# of Hours it should take..

Leines

Jul 12, 2010
Just so i have an idea of what it should take when i go to get quotes....

How many hours should it take to rebuild a blaster engine.. assuming the engine is out of the frame...and needs bottom and top end done.. Cases replaced.. and all seals bearings done.....

How many hours to tear the engine apart and assess the damage...and then how many hours to put it all back together?? Just a rough ballpark for a skilled builder or yamaha dealer tech...

How many hours does it take ken oconnor the legend of blaster engines to do roughly??

buy a clymers,and do it yourself man...save on labor and learn alot about your motor as well...it tokk me about 3 hours for both ends on my shee...i waited about 2 weeks for all parts to come..but if you have a free sat, a case of beer, and nice weather you can get it done in no time...

Ive considered it.. but it seems like i might not have all the needed tools....
and im kinda getting intimidated now reading about lining up cases on mirrors and all these little parts.... im thinking id get it back together and blow it up cause i didnt do it properly... lol

The tools to rebuild the bottom end will run about the same price as getting the motor ASSEMBLED top and bottom at a dealership. Really, the blasster engine is not a three headed monster.... you can do it yourself if you feel so inclined.

That being said, if you don't feel comfortable with the task you should probably be expecting 12 hours shop time to completely rebuild an engine like the blaster. Does it actually take that long? Not usually if you have any idea what you're doing it can be done in a few hours. In one weekend I have taken 3 bottom ends apart (all with separate issues which prevented them from being used by themselves) and put two completely back together. That was in addition to all of the other "hunny-dos" I do every weekend. But the difference between "book time" and actual time is the commission the mechanics live off of.

It's a rather expensive job to get even a simple (yes, blasters are actually simple in there) engine rebuilt at a "stealership".

i say you and i both tackle it, be a learning experience for the both of us!

Buddy i am so game..... I have all the original parts and i can get us almost anything we need at dealership cost... either aftermarket or oem... since i service the yamaha dealership in town.... If your really serious let me know.. Ill go get the engine one day soon and we can tackle it on a sunday or something.... Ill pay you for your time, and even bring a 24 of canadian to start.... i dont drink beer so that should be good for you right??

Lemme know cause i really wanna get it working so i can ride it this summer..

Cheers

Buddy i am so game..... I have all the original parts and i can get us almost anything we need at dealership cost... either aftermarket or oem... since i service the yamaha dealership in town.... If your really serious let me know.. Ill go get the engine one day soon and we can tackle it on a sunday or something.... Ill pay you for your time, and even bring a 24 of canadian to start.... i dont drink beer so that should be good for you right??

Lemme know cause i really wanna get it working so i can ride it this summer..

Cheers

beer sounds like a good idea, but no need to pay for my time lol not like u are paying me for my knowledge lol.

i am not done school till around april 18th, and time is tight for me until then, i have a flywheel puller, but a harmonic seperator is basically essential in spliting the cases.

do you think factory recreation would have one of those??? they should youd think right?? cause really man... we could work on everything there if we wanted... then there is like a whole entire shop full of cool sh*t...

ah sh*t man... modfather is a cool ass place... i used to service double r performance... taking pictures of those boats was some sick sh*t man...some of the ones i was one had like 1200hp and were 650,000 usd.....

I can just go into factory recreation when they arent open and borrow the tool.. like on a sunday.... i could prolly get them to help me split the case there for free if i went in close to closing time... they wouldnt charge me anything i dont think.. my mom has worked there for like 15 years or something... so id get the hook up im sure..

Yikes.. .170us is steep... thats the price of the cases i bought..LOL... ill have to check with FR and see if they have one.... ill do that tomorrow maybe..

If you have a shop do it, you might as well buy a running wheeler. I paid $400 to have just my top end redone. Just do it yourself. Looks like you have good help too so there yah go. =]

While you weenies were talking about drinking a brew, I rebuilt a tiller carburetor and completely disassembled a blaster bottom end down to the case halves while I've been gone. I then scrubbed the case halves to clean then and relubed the bearings for the night.

A harmonic balancer puller with some custom M8 bolts can be had at an auto parts store and a hardware store cheap (like $15 together for some cheap ones) but a crank puller is a must for reinstallation. The Tusk puller is $59 plus shipping from rocky mountain atv.com. If you try to whack the crank into the bearing you risk knocking the crank out of round.

Ill ask around and see if i can find one of these to borrow.. is it something that would be used to rebuild all engines.. like dirtbikes, snowmobiles etc?? or specific to the blaster or yamaha stuff??
Cheers

The harmoner balancer puller is an automotive tool.

The crank puller is something that is used on any engine that is split vertically and the crank is held in by a light press fit into one of the crank bearings.

It takes me about 8 hours to tear it down, inspect everything, bore and hone the cylinder, rebuild the crank, lap the cases, squish the head and assemble it.

And if you dont mind my asking... whats the shop rate at OConnor, or is it done by piece??

It would be sweet to have the work down there.. but the shipping back and forth would be outrageous...

Picked up a brand new in box Wiseco 67.5 piston last night for $70.... Cheapest i could find with shipping online was about $100... in store its $140.... so saved a bit..

Toronto ontario canada....

heres a pic of my new wiseco..

7f62ec42.jpg