O-Ring Chain Vs. Non O-Ring??

Gimme2Strokes

Jun 15, 2008
RI
Tried searching the site to no avail. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between an O-Ring Chain and an non O-Ring Chain. I obviously need to replace the chain/sprockets due to my tension screws being bottomed out and more than an inch of play in the chain slack. Ebay has given me so many options I'm overwhelmed with choices and have no idea what direction to go in.
Thanx guys! B-)

o-ring chains have little orings that help keep everything moving nicely, they are a bit more expensive but they will last longer if your not the type to keep the chains absolutely spotless, the non oring chains tend to rust and seize up at the pivot points if you dont keep up on them, not saying the orings won't but it'll take a bit longer...

OK cool, so is there any special material I should steer away from, such as steel or hardened steel? I guess that's pretty self explanatory... Also, are the numbers significant say a 520-92 or is that just a part number?

o-ring chains have little orings that help keep everything moving nicely, they are a bit more expensive but they will last longer if your not the type to keep the chains absolutely spotless, the non oring chains tend to rust and seize up at the pivot points if you dont keep up on them, not saying the orings won't but it'll take a bit longer...

I also hear that the o-ring chains have more drag compared to the non o-ring.

I have a o-ring chain on my blaster now but I plan on changing it to a non o-ring because my chain has just about had it.

Does anyone know what came stock on blasters for a chain ( non or oring?)

stock chains are o Ring.... do not bother with a non oring... it will wear out and stretch like crazy.... dont waste your money... buy a good o ring chain.

DID atv chains work great.

as for the stock #'s its a 520 (chain size) - 92 ( # of links ). if you have a longer swinger arm or different sprocket sizes this can affect the quantity of links required, if you need more help just ask...

Perfect, just what I wanted to know. Now, when I buy this thing is it going to be the proper length or am I going to have to 'cut-to-fit'? If so, what's the proper guide to go by, as I don't want to use the old chain seeing it's already stretched out it'll be too long.

well like regal said, if you have the stock swingarm on then you will need a 92 link chain, if you buy a 92 link chain it will just go right on, but if you buy a longer one you should buy a chain breaker to take out some links

haha yeah he posted while I was writing:-D
I think I got a pretty good idea what to look for, thanks a bunch guys I:I

ok, heres a lowdown on chains and sprockets that may help.

there are 3 diffrent main types of chain you can get. non o-ring, o-ring, and x-ring.

non o-ring are the cheapest of the bunch. the pivot points between links are unprotected from sand and grime. this will allow foreign material into the link pivots and cause huge amounts of excess wear in the chain. more wear = more replacement cost in the long run. you will go through about 3 of these as compared to one o-ring chain.

o-ring is the same design as above except for the addition of small rubber rings placed in the pivot points to act as a gasket. these rings require lubricant about every 30 hours of ride time to keep them in good shape but will last much longer than a standard chain.

x-ring are the upper end chains used in mose racing applications because they keep out more dirt and mud and hold their lubricant inside better than the standard o-ring. the shape of the gasket is not a smooth circle ring but has grooves in it to help hold a better seal. these look the same as a standard o-ring chain but are 3-4 times better. these chains will last you quite a while if cleaned regularly.

chain cleaning and lubrication- the numbr 1 killer of a chain is failure to take care of it. any time you ride through sand or mud you should clean the chain after the ride to prevent excess wear. there are several diffrent cleaners on the market that work well. invest in a grugde brush and some good cleaner. most cleaners are in an aerosol can and as long as it says o-ring safe you are clear to use whatever you choose. DO NOT use engine cleaners or gasoline to clean a chain. it will destroy your o-rings and ruin the chain. Kerosene is a preferred cleaner as well and is usually the one recommended by the manufacturer. its a simple process. soak chain, scrub with brush while rotating the rear wheels by hand and rinse with a water hose.

now that your chain is clean, you need to replace the lubricant that you just removed. most cleaners will strip all lube from a chain in the process. there are 2 diffrent kinds of preferred lubricants for a chain. ChainLube and ChainWax. the proper way to apply either is to clean the chain and then dry off the excess water. ride the bike in a clean sand free area for about 5 minutes to heat up the rollers of the chain then park it. once the chain is warmed up, coat with lubricant and wipe the excess off with a towel. then let it sit for about 15-30 minutes to soak in to the joints evenly.

ChainLube- these are usually a thin lubricant similar to WD-40. they spray on easily and fling off just as quickly once you ride. chain lubes need re applied often and should be replenished after each ride.

ChainWax- These are a thicker wax based lubricant that is also applied from an aerosol can. the chain MUST be warm before application for it to give the best protection. Once chain wax is applied, wipe off all excess with a towel and let it sit to "dry". once its ready the wax will leave a sticky non-fling coating on the chain and is good for a few rides before it needs cleaned and re-applied. This is the most common lubricant used in high performance street bikes and high horsepower drag bikes due to its resistance to flinging off the chain. although, if you are in the desert like i am you will need to clean the chain at the end of each time spent in the sand due to its sticky nature.

Both types are available at your dealer for under $10 a can and will double or triple the life of your chain. you can never keep your chain too clean. clean and lube it often and it will last you a long time.

Sprockets and chain sizes- Rule number 1 when replacing a chain or sprockets. NEVER EVER replace one without replacing the others. change all three parts at the same time (front, rear sprockets and chain). they will last longer if you do this. it is a proven fact!!!! when you use worn out componets with a new one, it causes the new componet to wear in an un-even way and you just wasted your money while possibly risking a broken chain and engine case in the process.

there are diffrent sizes of chain as well. the most common used on an ATV with less than 50hp is a #520 where a 200hp superbike will use a #530. the higher the number, the stronger the chain and the more resistant it is to streching. but it is also a much heavier chain as the side links are thicker. you CAN NOT use an unmatched chain/sprocket combo safely either. this will cause a chain to break prematurely. all sprockets are made in sizes to correspond with a chain size. 520 chains require 520 sprockets while 520 chains must have 530 sprockets.

Gearing changes with sprockets- the most common way to increase performance is with a gearing change. sprocket changes allow the rider to fine tune his machine to the type of riding he/she does. but, doing so also has its dis-advantages. re-gearing a machine to give you more low end acceleration will take away from your top speed while gearing it for more top speed takes faway from your acceleration. Sprocket changes are also used when changing to a smaller tire size over stock. with a smaller rear tire diameter, the overall gear ratio of the ATV will be lower and take away from your top speed. the stock rear tires are 21 inch baloons. if you were to go to a 20 flat rear tire you will also need to get diffrent size sprockets to maintain the same top speed.

Front sprocket- the front sprocket on a stock blaster is 13 teeth. if you were to want more top end speed you would get a sprocket that is larger and has more teeth. if you want more bottom end, you would get a smaller one. the front sprocket is the most common one changed due to its accessability and the fact that you dont need to get a longer chain to change it out. a stock chain will have enough slack in it to accomidate a larger or smaller front sprocket. changing this sprocket will also give you a more drastic change in acceleration or top end. 1 tooth on the front is equal to 2.5 teeth on the rear.

Rear sprocket- rear sprockets work opposite of the front ones. going bigger in the rear will give you more low end while going with less teeth will give more top end. rear sprockets are usually priced according to tooth count and get more expensive as the bigger you get. you can get these in aluminum as well to save weight but b careful if doing so. aluminum sprockets require proper chain tension or they will wear out at an amazing rate. rear sprockets usually take more time and effort when replacing as well thus making them the less popular choice.

hopefully this helps a few of you out. feel free to PM me any questions if i missed something.

Reactions: Gmon
So let me get this straight, I was about to order a 14 tooth front sprocket off of ebay right. By what you're saying in that post, I should replace the chain and the rear sprocket with it?

if you are still usign the stock chain and sprockets and they are worn more than 20% yes. the method of measuring is to look in your owners manual about the chain limits. there should be something telling you when to replace the chain by measuring the distance between a certian amount of links.

adding a new sprocket to an old chain will cause the new sprocket to wear faster than normal. it can also cause the chain to break due to link spacing on the chain and tooth spacing on the sprocket. the teeth on a sprocket wear down just as the links on the chain strech. im not saying it will break, but be aware that it can break due to added stress on the rollers. if a chain breaks, it usually takes out the engine case along with it when it goes.

i once saw a guy at the drag strip on a sportbike snap a chain. it came up and wrapped around his shoulder and crushed his collar bone. later on, he blamed it on brand new sprockets and him being too cheap to buy a new chain to go along with them. but, keep in mind that he was also riding a 200hp machine and not a 17hp toy.

I lubbed my o ring chain twice and got a year and a half of use out of it. Thats the stock 450r chain. If you get a non o ring chain, you really wana make sure shes greased pretty well.

food for thought: the stock 450r chain is a continuous link chain, it has no master link.

I lubbed my o ring chain twice and got a year and a half of use out of it. Thats the stock 450r chain. If you get a non o ring chain, you really wana make sure shes greased pretty well.

food for thought: the stock 450r chain is a continuous link chain, it has no master link.

negative. ALL chains have a master link as you cannot get one that is already linked from the dealership or the factory. the diffrence is the type of master link it has. if it's a clip style link that is the one that is removable and replaceable at will. also more likely to come loose in extreme conditons. the other type is a press fit link. you actually attach it with a special tool that spreads the rivets out to look just like the rest of the rivets on the chain. this type is not removeable once put in place. that type of link requires you to either use a chain breaker or a grinder to sheer the heads off of the rivets.