Not wanting to start!!

Could the choke curcuit be clogged stopping fuel from getting in.

You could have a small air leak somewhere as your leak down test should have held 7psi for 10 minutes.

I would also be inspecting those reeds.

Previous question, what is compression like?

I cleaned the sh** out of the carb so idk about that.
I thought it was alright if it only went down 1 psi in 10 minutes.
Yeah if I have the time tonight I'll check them.
I don't have a compression tester so I haven't checked in a while.

The reason I asked about compression as a gut full of fuel in the plug hole will bring up compression enough make it start, even if it is too low to start normally.

Pouring fuel in the plug hole is a very poor diagnostic tool, and can lead to false assumptions.

The reason I asked about compression as a gut full of fuel in the plug hole will bring up compression enough make it start, even if it is too low to start normally.

Pouring fuel in the plug hole is a very poor diagnostic tool, and can lead to false assumptions.

I'll have to see if I can borrow one from someone around here then and check into that.
I only put about 3 drops of gas in it.

I'll have to see if I can borrow one from someone around here then and check into that.
I only put about 3 drops of gas in it.

Sounds like it is not getting fuel in through the normal channels then.

Re pull your carb off, soak in carby cleaner , clean everything, paying attention to the idle and choke curcuits.

There are very little passages in there, clean out with a probe and blow with compressed air.

A chipped or poorly seated reed can drastically affect starting.

Sounds like it is not getting fuel in through the normal channels then.

Re pull your carb off, soak in carby cleaner , clean everything, paying attention to the idle and choke curcuits.

There are very little passages in there, clean out with a probe and blow with compressed air.

A chipped or poorly seated reed can drastically affect starting.

Alright I'll try to do that sometime this week and repost what I find out, thanks for the help!

when you cleaned the carb, did you pull the jets out or not? if you didn't, you need to and really make sure it's all spic and span. there's a lot of small passages in there, as the others have said, and they're really easy to get plugged up

Alright I'll try to do that sometime this week and repost what I find out, thanks for the help!

Brutha what happened??? Remember when you remove that main jet there is a washer there too must put that back in!

Also, you say that it was running good until the base gasket leaked, (good catch), and you removed and replaced that. Did a leak test and got 1 psi in 10 minutes time? Really you shouldn't loose any air. I would also pull the reed cage and check the reeds, put all back together with a light RTV film then do another leak test on it, spray soapy water around the base gasket, head gasket, reed cage, look for those bubbles, if any fix that first, even if ya get one bubble every 30 seconds! If top end is all tight, your gonna have to check those seals again, and also ( as i have recently learned) the spacer on the clutch side may be prone to leaking around the shaft!

Next I would disconnect the fuel line from the carb, get a container and open the pet weiner, good steady flow? yes- If that has good flow then only two other areas come to mind, one- the float/the (float valve) part that shuts fuel off when the bowl is full. Or no compression. Check the float valve that is my guess if it's not getting gas. Get a rebuild kit or use the one out of your original carb!

It started because it had fuel to burn..

Aparrently no fuel is getting into the crankcase, check for air leaks and your reeds.

Warning. Do not keep chucking fuel in the plug hole, very bad practice!

that is what i have to do to mine and i knok a few other people that have the same problem with there blasters

Brutha what happened??? Remember when you remove that main jet there is a washer there too must put that back in!

Also, you say that it was running good until the base gasket leaked, (good catch), and you removed and replaced that. Did a leak test and got 1 psi in 10 minutes time? Really you shouldn't loose any air. I would also pull the reed cage and check the reeds, put all back together with a light RTV film then do another leak test on it, spray soapy water around the base gasket, head gasket, reed cage, look for those bubbles, if any fix that first, even if ya get one bubble every 30 seconds! If top end is all tight, your gonna have to check those seals again, and also ( as i have recently learned) the spacer on the clutch side may be prone to leaking around the shaft!

Next I would disconnect the fuel line from the carb, get a container and open the pet weiner, good steady flow? yes- If that has good flow then only two other areas come to mind, one- the float/the (float valve) part that shuts fuel off when the bowl is full. Or no compression. Check the float valve that is my guess if it's not getting gas. Get a rebuild kit or use the one out of your original carb!

well my blaster so far has had 2 carb kits put in it and it still does it

that is what i have to do to mine and i knok a few other people that have the same problem with there blasters

If one needs to put fuel in the plug hole to start a motor, there must be something amiss somewhere.

A motor in good condition, with a clean, correctly jetted and adjusted carby, requires no extra fuel, other than the choke to be able to start.

Contrary to public belief, premixed fuel has no lubricating qualities unless the oil comes out of suspension, which it does in the crankcase.

The way the piston, rings and bearings get their lubrication, is by being bathed by the unsuspended oil splashed around by the crank.

If a carby has been re kitted and still plays up, either there must be some crap in the passages, have an air leak, poor reeds or something else wrong with it.

Putting fuel into a plug hole, is not the correct way to start a motor!

I've posted on here before trying to get my blaster running but still seem to have a problem, I have a 97 blaster everything stock beside a FMF slip on exhaust, I've had the quad for about 3 months now and I have only spent maybe 4 hrs riding it, I spend more time trying to work on it then riding. My problem is, it doesn't want to start. I was told on my last post to try all of this stuff and still haven't gotten it running. The blaster had a stock main jet when bought and someone told me to bump my 230 to a 240, in which I did. Still nothing, I have cleaned my carb a million times and adjusted my float a hundered times, it's set at 21mm. Okay so when I try to start the quad it seems as if its not getting any gas, but gas will pour out of overflow if i turn the screw, I have good compression, good spark and good air flow, but still not running. I have the TORS still ontop of the carb but disconnected (getting eliminator kit soon). I am thinking that just something is wrong with my carb so I'm going to get a carb kit and put all new s**t in it. I was wondering if anyone has/had this problem or know what would be wrong with it.

i would take out the air filter to remove air as being a problem check for good consistant spark again if you have the shoot a shot of carb cleaner into the carb and kick it over if it fires then you know it is a gas problem if it does not fire you know its a compression or exaust problem

Well I don't know what it was, but I did as mud runner said and it started right up and stayed running until i shut it off, should I check anything now? Or why is it that it started with that little bit of gas in the plug hole?

It is apparent that there is a fuel problem, spraying carb cleaner into the intake is only going to tell again that there is a fuel problem.

It is apparent that there is a fuel problem, spraying carb cleaner into the intake is only going to tell again that there is a fuel problem.

yes but that will tell you if it is flooding or if its just not getting any then you take the fuel line off on the carb side turn the fuel on see if you have good flow if you do you turn the drain screw on the bottom of the float counter clockwise and see if there is fuel in the bowl. if there is then you check how much witch you can just put the drain hose up next to the carb to make sure its actually filling not just splashing in if it is splashing in the port where the gas line hooks to can be twisted the pulled out to get better access to the channel inside that likes to clog then pull the float out and the copper seat for the float needle and clean the same passage from that direction also and re check to see if you have flow and so on with normal carb cleaning

but the cleaner in the carb to see if it will run rules out the reeds and the crankcase being the problem you just need to start ruling stuff out till you find the problem if you try to fix dif stuff to find it you will spend alot of time and money doing nothing just like if you dont have spark you dont start by cleaning the points replacing the wiring and the cdi box/ coil you rul out the easyest first make sure ur kill switch and key are on and change the plug if that doesnt do it you take a wire tester to the wires at the coil and work your way through the system till you find the problem

doing the same thing 5 times wont fix anything but doing little things to isolate the problem is the most affectivespraying carb cleaner in rules everything accept the fuel tank filters and the carb out if it starts

and yes taking the plug out and putting fuel down the hole is the last alternative because all it tells you is you have spark and compression witch also is inacurate because it will still start like that with hardly any compression what you want to figure out is if the crank case is actually pulling air through the carb if the exaust is allowing it to pull it into the cylender and if the reeds are opening ... there is alot of stuff that goes on inside that little engine that could be a culprit and spraying anything flamable into the back of the exaust rules them all out accept the carb itself

Well I don't know what it was, but I did as mud runner said and it started right up and stayed running until i shut it off, should I check anything now? Or why is it that it started with that little bit of gas in the plug hole?

It stayed running for 20 mins until I shut it off though, I did a leak down test right before that after I put the new base gasket on. I didn't check the reeds because I have them sealed up with gasket sealer and didn't have the time to do all of that.

It does start and run.

There is an apparent fuel problem, possibly in the choke cuircuit.

Carb cleaner contains no lubrication, so is not a good choice of weapon, spraying premix would be a better option if needed.

there is alot of stuff that goes on inside that little engine that could be a culprit and spraying anything flamable into the back of the exaust rules them all out accept the carb itself

:-/:-/:-/ Uhh, where is this going?

It does start and run.

There is an apparent fuel problem, possibly in the choke cuircuit.

Carb cleaner contains no lubrication, so is not a good choice of weapon, spraying premix would be a better option if needed.

yup but as long as your oil injection isnt blocked it will still pull oil in

ok read back a little way he said he got it started and it stayed running for 20 mins hmm sounds to me like the starting problem is hes not getting enough fuel witch would be the choke circit unless he missed somthing inside the carb and when he got it started it flushed it out... sounds like a cleanlyness isue as long as it has all the same power after it warms up as what it down when it is cold